SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Return visit to vinyl
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
melmslie
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Return visit to vinyl Reply with quote

Just bought a Garrard 125SB 70's turntable from ebay not shure what this even looks like as there was no picture but it's supposed to be in good nick and for £5.50 how could i refuse Very Happy
I will tell what it sounds like when i get it setup and buy some records as i sold all mine ten years ago Embarassed
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a flash from the past. I sold a 1970s Garrard Zero 100SB on eBay a few weeks ago. The Garrard Zero 100SB had the so called tangential tracking arm which attempted to keep the stylus oriented correctly at all points on the vinyl.
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is one member who is getting back into vinyl and one who has left it, or at least sold one table. Any thoughts on vinyl? Can it make a comeback. The young kids seem to be getting back into it.

I find that the sound superior to my CD player. Oracle Delphi II with Sumiko MMT arm and Grado Silver cart. vs. Nakamichi MB2, but there is certainly a big price difference between the two to start with, so it isn't really a fair comparison.

Changing lps is a hassle, but there is magic in the lps. I have compared vinyl vs. cd of the same recording and the difference is major. I can put up with some minor surface noise and occasional ticks and pops. But, I wouldn't even bother putting on an lp for a guest unless, they could possibly appreciate it.

It is fairly easy to pick up used lps for practically nothing here. Recently got a London fffr recording of the Chicago Symphony, Solti and Vlad. Ashkenazy 4th Beethoven concerto for $2.00 Cdn. , exc. condition.

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David
I had a session with my Rega Planar 3 yesterday evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wouldn't be without a deck. I am intending to purchase second-hand a Linn LP12/Armageddon/Aro/Troika when one appears on the market at a reasonable price. A better investment than equities - in the technology market anyway.
Pleased to hear from you.
Terry
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, great to see you are still into vinyl.

I had a Planar 2, with the Lustre arm, years ago, could have kicked myself for not getting the 3. Another $100 at the time. They are still classics. I gave the 2 to my brother and had at one time purchased a modified platter for it. The platter was based on the Revolver. Bakelite construction rather than the glass platter. Used no mat but a light clamp. The PIG. You probably saw it in England or Scotland. If you are interested in the platter mod, I can see if my brother is not using it. I don't think he is.

I would be willing to send it to you gratis, provided he doesn't want it any more and provided you would pick up the shipping. It cost me originally $100 Cdn., ironically the difference in cost between the 2 and 3. I don't think it is serving any useful prupose sitting in his basement, and would like to see it go to someone who might appreciate it.

The platter tightened up the bass quite a bit and definitely had different sonic characteristics, than the glass platter. The 2 had a rubber mat, whereas you have the felt one with the 3.

I think my brother prefers the loose bass sound, and doesn't listen to lps very much. He has a Rotel 851 and Arcam Alpha 2. A nice system, but he needs some KEFs. Ha Ha.

I remember the Planar 3 in the mid 80s was the closest thing you could get to a LP12, without actually getting the LP12. Hang on to it.

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

It is very kind of you to offer the Platter Interface Grommet (PIG) to me. I seem to remember it from way back but I did a search on the Internet and as always something came up - no photos unfortunately. As previously stated hopefully I will be moving over to a Linn in the not to distant future and so I hope you are not offended if I decline your offer. I am sure there is someone somewhere who is desperate to get their hands on one and so I would encourage you to advertise it on eBay so that it can get back into use. That is one of the great benefits of eBay. It gets all sorts of different items back into use where they are valued.

The Rega Planar 3 is still on sale in the UK now. It has been a favourite turntable in the HiFi World for quite some time and at a reasonable price.

Best wishes

Terry
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Terry. It wasn't the PIG, I think it is long gone. It was the platter mod itself. If anyone reading this on the forum is interested, the same deal would apply. It would fit Planar 2 and 3.

Good luck with your search for an LP12. There are so many variations, etc. I wouldn't know where to start. I did have an old AR-XA on which the Linn was based and the suspension system is great, just as in the Oracle.

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David and sorry for the misunderstanding. It was interesting anyway for me to do a bit of searching for the PIG on the Internet. Keep visiting the Forum. It is very pleasant to interact with you.
Terry
David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry

Nice talking to you as well. The Pig was definitely low tech. Just a little knob of rubber that fit over the spindle. As clamps go it was of probably marginal value.

David
burkina
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, it seems that vinyl did not have any more posts from june 2003, so let's re-open the matter and say that, on my side, I still have and run 8 turntables (4 of them are always plugged in, 4 stored). They are on the low end line but some are good, that is:
a Denon DP60L, direct drive;
a Luxman PD264, dd;
a Thorens TD160, belt drive.
Then a couple of Pioneers, one Akai, one Dual502... none to be compared with Rega, Linn or other high end gear - but if you love vinyl sound then you cannot do without! I'm also trying to make vinyl enthusiasts out of "CD addicted" friends...
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burkina, you have some decent tables. Enjoy them. The increase in price is disproportionate to the increase in sound quality once you get to a certain level. That is to say you can spend thousands of dollars for an improvement, but is it quantifiable. You might consider selling your tables and getting one budget audiophile table, for example a rega.

David
burkina
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree when you say that the matter of the fact is getting to a good level, then enjoy. Then all other components must match the quality...
Now it's unbelievable how the price of a low level gear can increase when you see it on ebay, so it's hard to tell the "value" of a 25 yo Thorens 160 if you see it on sale from 50 to 200 USD, depending on how luck you are.
nice regards
David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Thorens is good. The tonearm was a bit on the large size, but you should be able to get very good results with it.

David
burkina
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was equipped with the 681EEE - but I found the suspension of the stylus to be gone, the cartridge body was almost touching the record surface.
I'm going to try a MC like an entry level Denon 110.
harry h
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burkina wrote:
it was equipped with the 681EEE - but I found the suspension of the stylus to be gone, the cartridge body was almost touching the record surface.
I'm going to try a MC like an entry level Denon 110.

Burkina, may I sugest another nice entry level mc to put on your shortlist is the Ortofon MC 10 super. It is nice highish output mc and seems to track well on slightly heavier arms.

I to have just returned to vinyl after a 2-3 year stint of listening to cd only,and am thoroughly enjoying the results, especially the brilliant sense of rythym,rock solid bottom end and extended high end response.

I am using an LP12-Sumiko-Supex sdx1000 combo and the only reason I stopped using it was it developed a terrible hum,however I discovered it was actually in the phono stage of my Cyrus/psx combo.Very recently I upgraded to an HFA pre amp and Perreaux pmf 100 (pure class A ) power amp, (both NZ made amps)and am now rediscovering the wonderfull sound of my record collection.

BTW, another auction site to watch for the odd gem to appear is TradeMe.co.NZ. I have picked up a few real bargains here.

cheers
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Audio equipment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: