SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feedback on KEF C95 speaker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thawattg
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Feedback on KEF C95 speaker Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum and I'm not sure if my question is appropriate since the C95 is a 1990s speaker.
But anyway, I just want to get some feedback on what people think of the C95 speaker which feature the uni-Q drivers.
What do you think of them, and are they built to last?

Thanks.
clem_o
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of C55s, I believe they are in the same family, based on a C95 picture I've just been able to dig up over the Internet. The whole C55 is about the size of the front panel of the C95, in fact it might be that the front panels are one and the same thing. Based on the diameter of the tweeter, I'd hazard a guess that this is still the first-generation UNI-Q.

There's a bit of sibilance in these tweeters, at about 13KHz; it also doesn't sound quite as smooth and tends towards a bit of roughness in the transition region from LF to HF. As the tweeter ages, the internal ferrofluid tends to dry up, stiffening the cone suspension and the magnets lose their strength, so you may find that your tweeters sound thin and weak. This seems to be pretty much what happens to the newer-generation Q-series tweeters, though it seems that the older C-series unit's voice coils do not burn out as easily...

I bought my C55s in 1990, and was very happy with them - they far outperformed whatever other loudspeakers I had back then, for their size. If you're into vocals, the Q-series is a better choice, but if you want something that is tuned better for pop, the C-series is a good starting point...

At least that's what I think!! :-)

Cheers

Clem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: