SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Kef's, but I've been offer a free pair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baldrick
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: New to Kef's, but I've been offer a free pair Reply with quote

Hey all, first post on here and first time I have ever thought about using Kef's. I have been offered free pair of original Kef 105's. They need new tweeters and mayb new mids as well, not sure about the mids till I get the speakers though. So my first question is, what should I replace them with, and where can I buy these? I live in the west mids area of the UK so I can go to any shops easily in that area. The next questions is, what should I do with them. I am very much of a fan of home cinima, and need a new set up as mine hase just died Sad and was woundering if I could use these speakers as part of it. Any suggestions of good kit to use with these? P.S. I'm a uni student so I don't have a huge budget. Thats all for now.

Marc.
ColinR
ber Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am "a local" don't bother looking for parts or drivers in the West Midlands, there aren't any.

So, expect to either spend ~50 per blown drive unit at Richard Allen Recone Lab / Wembley Speakers or part them out on ePay, so you'll either spend one or gain two hundred quid.

If you cannot solder well or lack mechanical skills to rotate the bass units in their cabs by 180 degrees, "part them out".

Once done up and properly driven with a 150 Watt rms / 8 Ohm power amplifier you won't need a centre speaker for an AV system and still enjoy trouser flapping bass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: