SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stands for 104abs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Stands for 104abs Reply with quote

Just took delivery of my 104abs and connected them up. I was very impressed by the music they made. A question for all... The originals had the trolley stands, about 9" in height. I am not interested in the trolley types, but does anyone have any suggestions for stands, of a more modern variety.

David
b3rtie
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Speaker stands Reply with quote

I made some stands to fit some wharfedale speakers, which now support my concertos atop, Being designed to fit 1960s/1970s speaker designs they work quite well with those types of shapes.

I based my design on the pic at the following site:
http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1105/01_speaker.jpg

If you email me, I can forward a picture of my similar variant, which could be made for any size or height. My stands have a wider rear section when compared to the above.

Alternatively you could try look at this as an idea - some PMC ab2s on PMCs own stands. They look very stable, but at a cost (around 400GBP) If you know a welder/fabricator near you it may be possible to get them to make some on-offs to your own, similar design
http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/pdfs/ab2.pdf

I made my stands as I couldnt find stands to fit my speakers (they are designed for more modern shapes).
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Roberts idea of the wooden stands filled with sand. They are reminiscent of the torlyte stands sold by Russ Andrews but much more substantial. There is a sophistication to it.

The problem you face with the 104ab is that they are large but not large enough to stand on their own on the floor even with spikes. I use Cadenzas as rear speakers in a surround sound system and I face the same problem. I suspect that I will go for a solid wooden box underneath the Cadenza filled with sand and topped with a concrete slab - onto which the spiked Cadenzas will be placed - or some equally inelegant solution. I tend to have faith/belief that the contact I get with concrete or marble or granite improves the sound quality.
b3rtie
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I had forgoten about the toylite stands. They have quite a large, square base plate and look good. Russ Andrews intentionally makes these lightweight to remove vibration from the speaker, although I think heavy material, like stone/concrete/marble etc for bases is better for sound. I suppose it depends on where you are coming from.

I did think about constructing a sand-filled metal box to mount speakers on before I saw the T-shape design. I reckon a box would look cool, especially if covered in material similar to the cabinet, with depth and width being the same dimensions as the base, it would look continuous and solid, floor to top.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b3rtie wrote:
Actually, I had forgoten about the toylite stands. They have quite a large, square base plate and look good. Russ Andrews intentionally makes these lightweight to remove vibration from the speaker, although I think heavy material, like stone/concrete/marble etc for bases is better for sound. I suppose it depends on where you are coming from.

Yes some people want to let energy out as fast as possible and so not store it anywhere to cause problems - hence lightness. Others want to prevent vibration from getting in through the floor etc. Others think that dissipation of energy is possible with sand filled cavities etc. I suspect that each approach brings benefits and disadvantages. My experience suggests weight and solidity at the base of the speaker below the spikes brings benefits - certainly with my speakers.

b3rtie wrote:
I reckon a box would look cool, especially if covered in material similar to the cabinet, with depth and width being the same dimensions as the base, it would look continuous and solid, floor to top.

Yes that is what I would plan.
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for you suggestions.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: