SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ebay KEF LS3/5a

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: ebay KEF LS3/5a Reply with quote

Did anyone notice the this item on ebay. Located in Bristol, as close to mint as you could imagine. Now bidding is up to 820 GBP or over $1800 Cdn.. I have seen other versions go for $450 - 500 US. It seems incredible that it could go this high. Of course, I would like them, but at that price? Plus, I would have to upgrade my amp to use them.

Comments? from LS3/5a owners? others?

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ebay KEF LS3/5a Reply with quote

David wrote:
Did anyone notice the this item on ebay. Located in Bristol, as close to mint as you could imagine. Now bidding is up to 820 GBP or over $1800 Cdn.

Yes it is the piano black which makes them expensive I suspect. They do look nice though.

David wrote:
I would have to upgrade my amp to use them.

I would be surprised if your Nait1 would not drive them. Perhaps you should post a question on the Yahoo LS3/5 group and see if anyone has used a Nait with LS3/5s.
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Nait would be a good fit. The LS3/5as are an awkward load as I understand it. My budget won't allow me to even think about bidding on what are beautiful speakers in mint condition, and one day, I will think about building my own LS3/5as if I can put together the drivers, crossovers and cabinet. I saw the website for the speakers and was impressed.

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are happy with B110s and T27s which cannot be guaranteed as being as closely matched as are the units in LS3/5a then on a good day you could pick up the drive units per pair for around GBP85 and GBP40 respectively. The crossovers can be purchased for under GBP30. That leaves the cabinets to make. For less than GBP200 you have a pair of home made LS3/5s????????
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: ebay KEF LS3/5a Reply with quote

My ageing early NAIT has no trouble at all driving my collection of LS35a boxes.
Interestingly though, they seem to marry up with Rotel amplifiers a lot better, sad, but that is what my ears tell me.
As well as that if you want a far superior near field monitor then go for ATC.
So how come we all love the LS35a so much more, bearing in mind the oh so limited power handling, and foibles?
Mixing music a few months back at a local youth club when we switched over to the LS35as from the ATCs the tweeters went pop and one caught fire! The kids loved it!
geniesser_1
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Cabinets for DIY- LS 3/5 Reply with quote

Hi there,

I still have 2 perfectly made Pairs of Cabinets for B-110 and T-27.
(made by a professional some years ago for LOTS OF MONEY)

The cabinets are made of wooden Compound (usualy used for acustical room-preparation of recording Studios) , each about 25mm thick. There is definitely NO Vibration possible, they were made for eternity...

One is furnished black-shining , the other has "natural" tree-furnish.

Both were completely prepared for B-110 and T-27! You have just to mount the speakers, that is all!

At the backside, there is a hole for a XLR-connection, you need just some scews for mounting.

If there is someone who is interested in buying them - let me know, I will send fotos by mail.

regards

PS: I have still one Pair of B-200 SP1039 and one pair of B-139 (passive version, all the rest is already sold)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> LS3/5a All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: