SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef tweeters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Kef tweeters Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what different T33's the early Kef R107's used.

Did they have an SP1074, with the 105.4 type faceplate when they came out ? and what SP numbers after that ?

This has all got into my head due to a pair on Ebay with what looks like 105.4 tweeters in them ? I even questioned the seller and was told they were T33 SP1074 with Kef 107 on the label. I thought the kef 107 used SP1210 ?

Regards
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 107's did use 8 Ohm units in the "head".

107 mk II's use 1210, ? and R1197X.

When they brought out the Raymond Cooke series of "bolt ons" there were conversion kits available with 4 Ohm drivers to bring the older speakers up to spec.

I'd like to know the SP number of the B110 used.
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Colin,

The MK1 107,s I have always have had a 4ohm 1210X T33 unit, replacements all had barcodes, the latest replacement B110 for the MK1 107 was 1209X which I am sure is 4ohm also.

As they are 4ohm resistive with 4ohm mids as well I dont understand why an 8ohm treble unit would be used ?
I know of the upgrade you speak of , which involved sending the head assembly's and Kube back to Kef for replacement, though I'm sure this pre-dated the Cook signature editions and was intended to bring older Kef 107's to MKII status with the metal domed T33, giving you a MKII without the Bi-wire facility.
I believe I was quoted around £650 for this though I would have to dig out the paper work from the loft.
I was advised against this as the fabric T33 was deemed better than the metal domed unit and the earlier Kube had more control options ?

I thought there were only three models of 107, MK1 , MK2 , and Cooke signature ?

I will check my serial numbers against the ones on ebay.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at them and with a serial number ~2000 they look "right".

With new bass units, foam or rubber surrounds I wonder (107's came with both, don't know the chronology though), someone's going to get a bargain Very Happy .

Thanks for the confirmation of SP1209, I've had it down as that, but never had the opportunity to play with screwdrivers Cool .

Regarding any errors or omissions, the "non user fixable" cavity coupled designs are outside the scope of my collection.
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unaware of any rubber surround bass drivers for the 107, I had been informed they were all foam surrounds ? I would have thought rubber would have been preferable , But then again Ive not heard of many problems with foam rot, my own drivers have been fine.

What were you meaning with non user fixable coupled cavity designs ?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What were you meaning with non user fixable coupled cavity designs

Well if you can fettle a foam donut that travels over a metal rod without any leaks, you're a better man than me Laughing .

I'd happily add some Tangent TM1's, Carlton III's & late Concerto's with veneered baffles to my collection, but I'll continue to pass on any Ref 104-2's, 107's or 103/3's Cool .
oplancq
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Well if you can fettle a foam donut that travels over a metal rod without any leaks, you're a better man than me Laughing .

Hello Colin, you mean that opening the cavities will lead to maybe damaging the gaskets ? And that would lead to air leakage afterwards ?

Thanks
Olivier
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you mean that opening the cavities will lead to maybe damaging the gaskets ? And that would lead to air leakage afterwards

Er, no. I was referring to repairing/recones of drivers with hollow foam donuts for "force cancellation rods" which aren't liked at all by professional repairers.

Apparently there's only one worse KEF "driver" to work on and repair properly, the B110's in the SP1190. You've got a couple of those haven't you.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought there were only three models of 107, MK1 , MK2 , and Cooke signature

I don't know about those, but....

Corellis have two different crossover configurations.

Ref 105-2's have two different "target function solutions" on the same pcb depending upon their age.

The picture I have of an early 105-4 pcb, has space for one "extra inductor".

I've got a picture of a Ref 104-2 crossover with a S-STOP unit on the pcb.

..... so don't get "hung up" on
Quote:
only three models
Cool .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: