SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

104.2 bi-wires repair/upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WTG
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: 104.2 bi-wires repair/upgrade Reply with quote

I've owned these since new & just recently the bass surrounds & foam centers fell apart. They are in a Kef authorized repair shop. While there I was considering changing the wiring to mil-spec teflon insulated wire (either bare or silver-plated copper) and silver-soldering all connections (eliminating terminals). The shop said they would do a frequency sweep on the cross-overs to check them. Is this a reliable check? I don't think they have a schematic of values to check each component. What does one do when a mid driver goes bad? I believe they are not available. Does anyone have a schematic or list of values of the cross-over components? Does anyone recommend any upgrades while they are apart? Any opinions on going to larger gauge wire or to wire such as KimberKable inside?
Thanks
dublin78
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I am also considering upgrading some of the components in my 104/2s.
Mine are circa 1992 and the LF units look in good shape.
Someone has already replaced the HF units with KEF NT25 SP1353. Does anyone have any opinion on these?
I am also looking for a schematic of the crossovers, as I believe that there must be some improvements to be made with modern capacitors (Jensens?).
It has been recommended to me that I replace inductor L2 with a 6 mH air-core copper ribbon from Jensen Capacitors. Opinions?.
I would also like to replace the internal wiring with something better. Ideas?
Finally, how do you remove the crossovers? It looks like a nightmare.
Best wishes to all. I am a new member and this looks like a very helpful forum.
________
Universal Health

Last edited by dublin78 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
oplancq
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dublin78 wrote:

Someone has already replaced the HF units with KEF NT25 SP1353. Does anyone have any opinion on these?

I bought a pair of those to replace one blown tweeter. I have used those during one month. In the meantime I found a spare SP1191.

SP1353 is going louder than SP1191. Impressive at the beginning. But I feel happier with the original.

I don't know what is the sensivity of the 1353 or if sensivity of 1191 has been somehow reduced because of its age.

I probably would need to pad it...

Olivier
dublin78
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Oliver
My KEF NT25 SP1353s are slightly "Over The Top" also. I suspect that they are a higher sensitivity than the original units. I would be grateful to find out the sensitivity of these for the record.
Wilmslow Audio recommended ScanSpeak D2905/9500 units at ?88 each. I think that I may try these at some stage, or even the D2904/9800 aluminium dome units.
All the best.
Michael
________
Sex Advice Forums

Last edited by dublin78 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier you probably need to attenuate the tweeter by -3dB.

Which is Cool , a 1.2 Ohm resistor in series and 10 Ohm resistor in parallel with the 4 Ohm unit.

The 104-2 should have 5 and 11 Watt resistors on the original pcb's, so try to use 9W resistors.

Crimp/solder automotive spade/blade connectors on the ends of the series leads (a bit of heatshrink over the bare wires would be a good idea) and get four "piggy back" connectors for the parallel components.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am also considering upgrading some of the components in my 104/2s

I wouldn't bother with "snake oil" components, unless you want external crossovers to begin with, for two of the series capacitors would be the size of Bean tins and a couple of the others you'll have to "make-up" banks to get the correct values and all will have to be within 1% of the original values, unless you've got a good LCR meter to take exact measurements.

Quote:
6 mH air-core copper ribbon from Jensen Capacitors

Hmmm, the only series component in the bass section optimized to operate at >20kV, er I don't think so unless you want to convert a silk purse back into a sow's ear by knackering the voicing.
dublin78
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Colin
What would you suggest is the best way to get the most from these loudspeakers with the aid of modern components. I would not be sad to hear that it is best to let sleeping dogs lie, if that is indeed the case.
Michael
________
MARIJUANA REHAB FORUM

Last edited by dublin78 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would initially suggest leaving them alone, for with my older birds only a very few of the original components have actually gone off, but they used 150V, 100V and 50V capacitors.

However, later KEF crossovers used 25V and 50V capacitors so have a look at C6, C7, C13, C14, C15, C16 and advise me via email.

If some series components indeed need replacement, you'll end up with a brighter sounding design because of lower internal resistances.

The internal steel wiring was included in the original design "target function" so I wouldn't play with that unless you can find the right sized blade connectors.

Binding posts are a posibility if you're handy drilling pcb's.
dublin78
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. This seems very sensible.
How do I check the caps? Do I need an LC Meter?
Best wishes.
Michael
________
Malaysian cooking

Last edited by dublin78 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do I check the caps?

Just look at the condition and note the voltage.

Quote:
Do I need an LC Meter

A £20 multimeter that measures capacitance is a good investment even if it's only use will to be just to check household fuses.

You'll have to unsolder one leg of each capacitor to check it's value.

A >£150 LCR meter is useful if you're going to build loudspeakers or work out crossover schematics Shocked .
oplancq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Olivier you probably need to attenuate the tweeter by -3dB.

Which is Cool , a 1.2 Ohm resistor in series and 10 Ohm resistor in parallel with the 4 Ohm unit.

The 104-2 should have 5 and 11 Watt resistors on the original pcb's, so try to use 9W resistors.

Crimp/solder automotive spade/blade connectors on the ends of the series leads (a bit of heatshrink over the bare wires would be a good idea) and get four "piggy back" connectors for the parallel components.

Thanks Colin...It's worth a trial...
Are you sure for the 3dB figure ? Does that mean NT25 SP1353 have 96 dB as sensitivity ?

Olivier
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that mean NT25 SP1353 have 96 dB as sensitivity ?

Er no, you've gone in the wrong direction, lower numbers are more sensitive.

As the Ref 104-2 has a 92dB sensitivity and the Uni-Q animals 89dB, I sort of pulled the figure of 3dB out of the air for a point of reference.
oplancq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Quote:

Er no, you've gone in the wrong direction, lower numbers are more sensitive.

Euh ? I'd say the opposite.

[quote="ColinR"]
Quote:
As the Ref 104-2 has a 92dB sensitivity and the Uni-Q animals 89dB, I sort of pulled the figure of 3dB out of the air for a point of reference.

We would need to look at the Xover used in UniQ series before making this kind of conclusion. I guess tweeter in UniQ series is attenuated.

But I'm surprised and disapointed that KEF did not mention this...Unless my 1191 are too much attenuated because of ferro fluid waxing...

Olivier
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Ooops, looks like I'm going to have to put my brain in gear in future Wink .

I was thinking about maximum spl's and writing about sensitivity, the Uni-Q's go louder than the 104-2's, so as the R1548X is currently too loud, attenuate by 3dB and listen to the result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: