SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lentek, Cambridge Audio, IMF, etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Booth
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: THE SOFT OPTION..? Reply with quote

Somehow, I think Patricia would rather see a pair of 600x450 paving slabs than layers of loose carpet and underlay. Surprised

Yep, I did fail Physics as well as Sums, but I guess the outriggers should be mounted across the front and back not the sides, as it is side to side movement that is most wobbly. Or perhaps a full frame, with legs, round the top of the plinth, so the weight of the speaker burried the legs into the 80/20. Confused

I remember once seeing a write up about "The Listening Room", which had 2 pairs of Quad ESL63 mounted at 90 degrees stripped down and housed in a metal and concrete frame. Funny thing is I don't remember any "squidgey carpet". Wink
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: THE SOFT OPTION..? Reply with quote

Ah, Panel Speakers. Now you are talking! A good friend has done the same with two pairts of 989s jhaving thrown away the rubbish electronics and fitting his own. Being driven by Musical Fidelity 1KW. Deep, deep, listening joy... Lucky so & so!
Stuart Booth
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Quote:
....? Or

Another more boring solution, more Mathematics & Physics.

Three points define a plane ....... I'll let you work out the rest.

Make sure it's level though.

Colin,

are you suggesting a five point stand, which makes four triangles, or three legs making one triangle, or the tree points of a rectangle or...... Confused

I never said maths and physics were boring, just that I was/am lousy at both. Embarassed
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LABYRYNTHS & TLs.

At the risk of repeating previous contributions, last night we talked speakers in the pub and some drinking colleagues reminded me about the following... Some repeated and a few new ones. Apologies for repeats!

Richard Allan: RA82L & RA82LP
Audio Kraft: Professional Monitor & Miniature Monitor
B&N: Pro 360
B&W DM2A
Clark: A1-21, A1-31H, A1-31L, A1-35/11 All used KEF units.
Jordan Watts Jupiter TLS/ABR
LNB I have covered...
Lentek
SMC AL12, AL50

Seem to have lost a couple of beer mats, will borrow book to finish compiling list.
chaiwallah
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: labyrinths and tls Reply with quote

No danger of getting cut-away diagrams or photos for any of these rare beauties?Do they all use kef or should we hop to a paralell universe on a tl dedicated site?Might find more contributions there (maybe) with knowledge of crossovers etc.,though maybe information would be more 'cluttered'
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: labyrinths and tls Reply with quote

I could enquire regarding the units but sadly no diagrams are likely to surface at the moment. I am amazed as to how many TLs and labyrynths were around in the early 1970s!

Nobody has mentioned the awesome B&W Nautilus!
http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.models/Label/Model%20Nautilus
chaiwallah

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you aware of the existence of Von Scheikert speakers?They have a website,but I'm afraid my abilities are less than that required to put it up in blue writing to take you there in electroglide,however it is worth making the journey.They use stuff like lead shot for damping in certain areas,special alloys for dynamic voice coils,my mind is still boggling at the potentials from their 7 1/2 foot vr11flagship design.Time to reach for the aural aenema kit again!Big and brash!Wasn't the Nautilus a late 80's /early 90's creature designed to appeal to audio alchemy kraken types,or is the reverse more likely?Having said that Imust admit I speak enviously if you really have listened to and enjoyed them,having not done so myself.
chaiwallah

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry-should read Von Schweikert
Stuart Booth
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this

www.vonschweikert.com
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, a mixture of physics, fantasy & psycho babble.
Probably nice units!
chaiwallah

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi!Nutter!Look at the website and check out their existing customer list,pay special attention to the vr11 and then eat your words!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, very pretty...

Nux.
Stuart Booth
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Big is .......... well its big, in'it? Reply with quote

I thought the whole idea of a transmission line / labyrinth was that the folded bit did away with the need for 15foot high stacks of 24 drive units.

Then again the grand canyon is bigger than cheddar gorge!

(von Schwiekert may sound German but I think its yet another of the US big is beautiful and were all filthy rich mob).
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Big is .......... well its big, in'it? Reply with quote

"Dimensional Control" "Acoustic Inverse Replication " "Global Axis Integration " "decoding the dimensionality" "Ambience Retrieval System" = Psycho Babble...
chaiwallah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Cambridge R50s Reply with quote

Does anyone know which T27 suits these best please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: