SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reference 4-1 issues / SP2226 schematic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zxcasd
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reference 4-1 issues / SP2226 schematic Reply with quote

Could someone provide a schematic for the SP2226 crossover from a Ref 4-1? I have a pair of these Ref 4s with indeterminate problems that seem to be identical between the two units - particularly, very very low volume from the tweeters - not distorted, just very low. The other drivers seem to be doing well.

Also, concerning internal construction of these, is there another crossover for the uni-Q driver? I've removed the crossovers, which only have the single green (high) and brown (low) wire pairs going from them, but I see more colors up above on the Uni-Q driver, so I'm wondering where they tie in together. Thought I'd check here before I totally disassemble the box. Smile

thanks,

Tom
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea about SP2226, but the crossover treble section will be something like + two capacitors to make a value, inductor+ to -, + a Zobel + (resistor in parallel with a capacitor), inductor + to -, drive unit connected out of phase.

If the fault is intermittent, you have a loose connector on the pcb.

If it's constant you've fried the driver.
zxcasd
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Colin.

I'm waiting for an inductance meter to arrive - the rest of the parts on the crossover look good, so yes, it sounds like it's probably the drivers. Fortunately, I have a pair of Reference 1s arriving today in (presumably) mint condition. If they work, I believe the Uni-Q driver is the same between that and the Ref4, so I'll try swapping and see how it works. I won't mind cannibalizing a pair of Ref1s to make good a pair of Ref4s, especially when the 1s only cost me $350 for the pair. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: