SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Cresta 1967

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Kef Cresta 1967 Reply with quote

Hi, I just bought a single Cresta for a mono setup. It was made 15/9/67 and has the original drivers in it, original grill and brass badge. A very early version of a T27, with the clear dome, the inside looks similar to a Coles 4001 and an early version of a B110. No doping on the dust cap, but still a bextrene cone. The woofer is not labelled other than a sticker saying "30" and has large screws on the back unlike the 1003 version. A small crossover with a single cap and two inductors.

Sounds good and is in pretty good shape. Looks similar to the Cresta posted on this site. That one looks like it has more modern drivers.

A curiosity piece for sure. Anybody else seen the early Kef drivers?

David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen them, but don't try to collect the early stuff, like the K2 Celeste's and ancient LNB Paralabs lurking in my garage.

Back to the point, the magnet in this speaker will be almost 110mm in diameter and the label font noticeably different from later examples.
The "standard" unit's magnet is ~90mm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: