SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first speaker build (B110 SP1003). Grateful for advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
horace
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: My first speaker build (B110 SP1003). Grateful for advice. Reply with quote

Hi

I have a lovely pair of B110 SP1003 drivers sitting around doing nothing (I bought them as a spare set for my Linn Isobariks, but doubt I'll need them anytime soon).
I've always fancied having a go at building a pair of speakers, so I'm going to try making a pair of small bookshelf/standmounters for the spare room.

I'm no carpenter, though I can make reasonably straight cuts (or take my business to a timber yard for machine cutting!).

I know little about speaker design, so I'd like to work from a tried and trusted set of plans - if the crossovers are commercially available, so much the better, though even my hamfisted soldering technique should be able to put a handful of bits together (with some guidance on component selection etc).
In other words, I can probably manage the manual labour.

So, pair of SP1003, small speaker, good sound, relatively easy for a beginner to build.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Martin
horace
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a pair of LS35a - could I do that?

I'd love a pair of those.

Martin
________
DAIHATSU TAFT SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by horace on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
helios102
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: LS3/5a Project? Reply with quote

Horace,

Get yourself a pair of KEF T27's and make yourself something akin to the LS3/5a

Firstly, tune into the "Unofficial LS3/5a Support Site" run by enthusiasts on:

www.ls35a.com[url]

On that page look for "Build a Pair of LS3/5as?". Click on that and there you will find a complete set of cabinet drawings and crossover layouts.

Falcon Acoustics have an excellent page devoted to the LS3/5a, cabinet making and can supply finished crossovers too.

The purists will cry "fake" but you can end up with a pleasing result, which is what it's all about isn't it?

Good Luck,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: