SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 105.2 insulation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vrod
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: KEF 105.2 insulation Reply with quote

While I was rotating my woofers recently, I noticed the insulation inside was yellow. I assume its polyurethane acoustic material. Will the fact that its old affect the sound ? If it needs to be replaced what will I use? I read some info on a material called Fiberfill. If I use the equivalent (thickness etc.) Fiferfill, will this affect the character of the sound from the woofer? I know that polyurethane will break down with time and I am trying to think ahead since I have to replace the speaker terminal on one of my 105.2's I assume the current insulation is glued to the interior walls.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't bother replacing the foam unless you knacker or loose a piece whilst poking about inside the box.
From what I can remember about the insides of the Ref. 105-2.
A single sheet of ~1.5” thick foam forms an “n” shape over the sides and top, with slices in it to accommodate the braces and head.
A 4” thick piece covers the base and three rectangular pieces of ~1.5” thick at the rear between the braces and cabinet cover the terminals, crossover, etc.
The foam is not fixed.
It does degrade into dust over time, but what's already in the box will last another twenty odd years, providing it doesn't get damp.
Wear a facemask if you are playing about inside the box, there'll be a couple of grams of dust present.
If you are concerned about safety, the yellow foam does produce Cyanide when heated, however the Styrene from the burning drive units will have already killed you!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite on topic but...I have by accident found a copy of the KEFTOPICS newsletter Volume 3 No 1. It is regarding the KEF Reference Series Model 105.

Eight pages relating to the development and research.
Whereas I'd normally offer to send a copy to interested parties for free I fear that the demand may well prove to be rather heavy. So sorry folks, not this time!
I've offered Terry the opportunity to publish it on the site subject to the usual legal copyright nonsense. Interesting reading.

Andy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: