SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef C60 dull T33 tweater

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greeno
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Kef C60 dull T33 tweater Reply with quote

Hi there,

I recently came across a pair of second hand Kef C60 speakers, only fall back is that one of the tweeters is significantly dull in comparison to the other.

I have switched the tweeter between the pair to confirm that it is only the tweeter and not the cross over.

I am rather new to Hi-Fi and was wondering if someone here might be able to give me some advice on what could be causing this problem and if a repair is worth it or if it would be a case of replacing the tweeters.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SP1210 contains a material called Ferrofluid, which enhances the power handling of the unit by dissipating the heat from the vioce coil. Over time this fluid irreversibly turns into a jelly and finally a wax.

A firm in Chicago (I never knew the name), used to be able to rebuild T33mkII's, but if you cannot find them, the unit need to be replaced with either another T33mkII or a brighter current Uni-Q tweeter R1548X for which you'll have to find a method of fixing to the original faceplate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: