SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just acquired KEF 102 with Kube for my office system--HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Propman
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Just acquired KEF 102 with Kube for my office system--HELP! Reply with quote

I have put together a modest system for my office at work--a pair of KEF 102, a vintage Harman Kardon integrated tube (7408)amp and my old Rega Planet CD player. I have had it hooked up for a few days and I love the way it sounds!!

One question! I have the "Kube" and didn't really know how to hook it up! The Harman Kardon doesn't have a "tape monitor" feature. It only has four inputs--Phono Lo/Tape Lo, Phono Hi, Tuner and Tape/Aux Am I out of luck?

The speakers sound fantastic WITHOUT the Kube, but I would like to experiment with it if possible.

Thanks so much!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
doesn't have a "tape monitor"

So use the alternative method of hook-up, as if you had a pre-power amplifier.

If the CD is your primary source hook the Kube between the the CD's output and HK's Aux input.

If you have more "line sources" get a multiple input selector switch box and insert the Kube between the switch box "out" and the HK Aux.

If you want to use a "phono source" get a small battery powered step up amplifier and hook it into you "line source switch box."
OR
Get a small battery powered mixer (phono, lines & microphones) and hook the Kube between it's output and the HK's Aux.

More boxes and more cost, but at least it'll work Very Happy .
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the Kube the speakers will be lacking in bass and have excessive midrange. They will play louder. Maybe you like that and the excess mid "detail" ..............but it ain't right. I would not recommend getting used to the sound without the Kube.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: