SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capacitors in the T52 Head Unit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vrod
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Capacitors in the T52 Head Unit Reply with quote

Are there any capacitors in the KEF 105.2 head unit? What about the mid-range unit? How do you know when to change them? I am thinking of replacing them with Solens polypropylene capacitors. Laughing
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are there any capacitors in the KEF 105.2 head
No.

All the components on the "head" circuit board are associated with the S-STOP circuit and the LED in the window.

To stop any muppet asking the next question, unless you are good at electronics you cannot disable the S-STOP and keep the functionality of the LED as they both use the same rectification circuit.

Quote:
when to change them

You change electrolytic capacitors when they're cooked.

So, if you don't live in a mild climate with constant temperature and humidity, you change the series components after twenty odd years.

Regarding the Ref 105-2, after recapping, I tested the electrolytics only C5 which feeds the B110B circuit was dead.

Terry does have circuit diagrams of both varients of the Ref 105-2 circuit, so nag him for a copy, not me.
vrod
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: KEF 105.2 capacitors Reply with quote

I plan only to change the capacitors. I don't want to tinker with the protection circuity. Thanks for your help.
Vrod Very Happy
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

105.2 schematics now on the website. Conscience well and truly pricked.

105.2 crossover URL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: