SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF best speaker ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
qguy
Intermediate Contributor 75+


Joined: 08 May 2003
Posts: 85

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: KEF best speaker ? Reply with quote

So which KEF speaker outsold all other models ?

Which speaker do you think is the best one ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+


Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Posts: 1297
Location: Tewkesbury UK

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: KEF best speaker ? Reply with quote

The best KEF I have heard was the Reference Four Point Two.
I was minding these beasts for a friend whilst he worked in Germany for six months.

The first time I fired them up they did not seem to go loud at all.
This was with classical and any other genre, until you tried to speak that is, then you realised that they were modulating the air in your lungs with some authority. The bandpass bass loading had no detrimental effect to the bass quality whatsoever, so much for theory! It was fast, agile articulate and Deeeep...
No audible compression at any level that you could tolerate, amazing.

I could go on waxing lyrical; boy did I ever miss them when I had to give them back.

The amplifier was a rather tame Krell KSA 200S.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+


Joined: 31 Jul 2004
Posts: 1175
Location: Staffordshire

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So which KEF speaker outsold all other models ?


Very Happy Subject to correction Very Happy .

KEF Chorale and then the original KEF Coda - based on the numbers of B110 SP1003 and B200 SP1014 produced.

Quote:
Which speaker do you think is the best one ?


Which ever one, one happens to be listening to Very Happy .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+


Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Posts: 1297
Location: Tewkesbury UK

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what we are talking about is the original "cuddly" KEF speakers then, not the pretenders that followed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+


Joined: 31 Jul 2004
Posts: 1175
Location: Staffordshire

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is what KEF say,

Quote:
in 1967, two new drive units, the 5" B110 and 8" B200 appeared which, with their countless applications, found use in some 3 million units from KEF and many other loudspeaker brands throughout the world


want to argue Very Happy .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+


Joined: 22 Aug 2003
Posts: 1297
Location: Tewkesbury UK

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No arguement here at all! CLASSIC wins over the pretender!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+


Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Posts: 275
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No arguement here, either!

Quality speaks! Very Happy
_________________
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?" Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
-- Charles M. Schulz (as Charlie Brown)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+


Joined: 13 Jan 2006
Posts: 174
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My absolute all time favorite has to be the Kef Reference 107.

Quite superb, if you have the room and ancillaries, contrary to popular rumour, demanding of amplification.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RR105-3
Introductory Contributor


Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last speakers that Mr Simon Cooke did put all of his knowledge in where the RR107 and the RR 105-3
If w I am talking about KEF speakers, I am referencing to Simon Cooke engineneerd KEF product

Listing to the later RR Models 1/2/3/4, and the later 20* series, i hardly can he reconize the typical KEF sound


my KEF all time favorite : KEF RR105-3

Alex
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+


Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Posts: 958
Location: Green Hut, Tovil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR105-3 wrote:
The last speakers that Mr Simon Cooke did put all of his knowledge in where the RR107 and the RR 105-3 If w I am talking about KEF speakers, I am referencing to Simon Cooke engineneerd KEF product
Listing to the later RR Models 1/2/3/4, and the later 20* series, i hardly can he reconize the typical KEF sound
my KEF all time favorite : KEF RR105-3
Alex


The (totally unfounded) confidence and authority of people who post misinformation whilst clearly knowing nothing, never fails to amaze me Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad .

For the record, the man who started KEF in the 60s was Raymond Cooke. By the time I joined KEF, in 1975, Laurie Fincham was the Technical Director and before him Malcolm Jones was Chief Engineer, so, Mr. Cooke had very little technical input in the design of the 107 or 105|3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RR105-3
Introductory Contributor


Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
RR105-3 wrote:
The last speakers that Mr Simon Cooke did put all of his knowledge in where the RR107 and the RR 105-3 If w I am talking about KEF speakers, I am referencing to Simon Cooke engineneerd KEF product
Listing to the later RR Models 1/2/3/4, and the later 20* series, i hardly can he reconize the typical KEF sound
my KEF all time favorite : KEF RR105-3
Alex


The (totally unfounded) confidence and authority of people who post misinformation whilst clearly knowing nothing, never fails to amaze me Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad .

For the record, the man who started KEF in the 60s was Raymond Cooke. By the time I joined KEF, in 1975, Laurie Fincham was the Technical Director and before him Malcolm Jones was Chief Engineer, so, Mr. Cooke had very little technical input in the design of the 107 or 105|3.



oh Embarassed
another illusion gone ...
anyway, the RR105-3 are still sounding great !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 125
Location: Okland, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEF Calinda!

love these speakers. i also had 104/2, but the Calindas are just magical. to me, they are one of those speakers that exude the "essence of KEF"

if anybody asks "what's the big deal with KEF?" i fire up the ol' Calindas and they understand.

coupled with my McIntosh MC60 tube amps and REL Q100 sub, it's just a very exciting presentation.

see ya,
Robby
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RR105-3
Introductory Contributor


Joined: 13 Jul 2007
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

centaurus wrote:
KEF Calinda!

love these speakers. i also had 104/2, but the Calindas are just magical. to me, they are one of those speakers that exude the "essence of KEF"

if anybody asks "what's the big deal with KEF?" i fire up the ol' Calindas and they understand.

coupled with my McIntosh MC60 tube amps and REL Q100 sub, it's just a very exciting presentation.

see ya,
Robby


also like the Calinda's!
_________________
history: 1978 RR104ab/1984 RR104-2 /1990 RR105-3
-------------------------------------------
in my posession at the moment
RR105-3/C60/C10/Chorale/Cresta's 1970 (2x) /B139-units
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+


Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 125
Location: Okland, CA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, good stuff.

i also have a pair of really clean Yamaha NS-1000M. one woofer has a rubbing voice coil. i bought new woofers (bought two as the current replacement woofer has a different magnet structure) but still haven't put them in yet. my friends keep bugging me that i haven't gotten the yammies up and running.

i just keep saying, hey, when your back up speakers are KEF Calinda, there just no rush Smile

see ya,
Robby

RR105-3 wrote:
centaurus wrote:
KEF Calinda!

love these speakers. i also had 104/2, but the Calindas are just magical. to me, they are one of those speakers that exude the "essence of KEF"

if anybody asks "what's the big deal with KEF?" i fire up the ol' Calindas and they understand.

coupled with my McIntosh MC60 tube amps and REL Q100 sub, it's just a very exciting presentation.

see ya,
Robby


also like the Calinda's!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ragnar
Intermediate Contributor 25+


Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 35
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is the 107, closely followed by the 104/2.

proffski, did you have the opportunity to compare the Reference Four Point Two with any other model, such as the 104/2 or any other ?


Ragnar
_________________
Record:
KEF C10's (1986-now)
KEF C80's (1987-2007)
KEF Reference 105's (2006-2006)
KEF Reference 104/2's (2006-2007)
KEF Reference 107's (2007-now)
KEF Reference Two (2007 -now)
KEF Reference Four (2010 -now)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group