SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Somewhat unknown KEF model speakers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomsie1000
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Somewhat unknown KEF model speakers? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I used to have some KEF speakers which I assume were from the 70's or 60's.. not sure. They were second hand and have since left my posession, but I am on the lookout for more as they were by far the best speakers I have ever had. The KEF site museum is of no help and I am really at a loss. I was told that they were a K2 - this may be speculation by that person as I can find no trace of this model number.

They had some rather striking features, which lead me to believe they may have been a custom job. They had the oval driver, I have found identical units to SP1044. The tweeters were a 'dome' type and I have found no trace of similar units. Interestingly, the woofers were partially covered by the face of the speaker, 'bridging' between the sides of the unit. The face had a KEF logo but there were no model numbers or serial numbers to be found. The strangest thing of all about these speakers was that they had a very bright orange laminate plastic material on the rear.

They do look similar to the K1 units on the KEF website, but I am really at a loss as to what they truly were.

Anyone have any ideas/experiences/knowledge of these or similar speakers?

Thanks
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historicaly significant and a bit of a curiaosity. All the very early KEF speakers used a combination of T15 tweeter and a flat diaphragm woofer of some sort. It was original and a great marketing story.

The reason for the woofer "bridging" was that those flat expanded polystyrene diaphragms have horrendous undamped resonances above around 800Hz, the T15 type tweeters could not be used below 1 to 2 kHz and the combination resulted in an awful midrange. So, to make at least the measured on axis frequency response look half respectable, a combination reflector/refractor was used.

If you really liked the sound of that particular ancient midrange compromise, you could always try a pair of Concertos and disconnect the midrange section. (it's not what I'd call hi-fi or a true-to-life sound on vocals and acoustic instruments, but hey, each to his own Wink )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: