SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended replacement for T33 in 104/2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Recommended replacement for T33 in 104/2 Reply with quote

Hi all,

got an email from Terry at wimslow audio. here's what he has to say about a decent T33 replacement:

The unit that we have successfully used in the 104/2 is a Morel MDT29
at £26 each. This unit will operate with the front faceplate removed and will fit into the same position as the original.
Regards
Terry

- i'm a lot more intrgued by this than KEF's repleacement which seems to be just whatever they have that would fit best, which is actually a small NEO magnet tweeter from their uni-q system. KEF wants $160 for those, which i've heard from here and other boards is not all that great a replacement.

Morel is prety much up there with dynaudio, right? what do you guys think of this option?

thanks,
Robby
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby get in touch with Olivier (oplancq) for a definitive opinion about the KEF neo magnet jobs, for once he got hold of another pair of SP1210's the R1546X's when back in their box.
oplancq
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
Robby get in touch with Olivier (oplancq) for a definitive opinion about the KEF neo magnet jobs, for once he got hold of another pair of SP1210's the R1546X's when back in their box.

Olivier

Last edited by oplancq on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are your KEF replacements indeed 4 ohm?

i can always ask morel and peerless if they have 4 ohm versions of thier tweeters. drive manufactures used to make their stuff in 4 and 8 ohm not sur eabout now.

Robby
oplancq

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

centaurus wrote:
are your KEF replacements indeed 4 ohm?

Robby

Yes, they are.

Olivier
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sent out a bunch of emails to vendors and manufactures asking for more info, including to see if regnar will rebuild the tweeterw. why does the hardened ferro-fluid kill the output? does it "strangle" the voice coil? why can't i just use some sort of solvent to get all that crap out of there and have the tweeter work like new? sorry, i don't get why these are not repairable.

lastly, probably a stupid question, but is there no way to retrofit a T27 in the the tweeter/mid enclosure? i mean drilling new holes for the T27 isn't a big deal. heck, you can even just silicone it in there. the problem i see is that the mylar dome is almost like a sheet that is glued to the metal flange. if i screw it into the baffle, i might screw up the voice coil leads by putting too much pressure between them and the baffle? why didn't they just mount the tweeter in front of the baffle! damn aesthetics!

from what i hear, the general consensus is that the KEF replacement is not even that great sounding and it's a rip-off for $160. and i can almost guarantee that the tweeters are made in China. many think the T33 is spitty and annoying sounding anyway. so, what's the harm in finding something maybe even better?

does it have to be 4 ohms or can i just find a suitable sensitivity match, even if it's 8 ohms? i remember finding top mount tweeters to play with my old bozaks. the tech at madisound was VERY SMART. and said to not get too caught up in the impedance thing, so long as the fequency respnse works with the crossover and the the sensitivity is matched. heck, i can make a simple l-pad if need be.

Robby
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy idea - a/d/s speakers are 4 ohm. what about their clasic tweeters from the 70/80's?

Robby
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Morel MDT29 at £26 each.
Quote:
Wimslow Audio

There is a two page(?) thread somwhere on Audiokarma.org about both of the above and how the crossover suggested modifications (to remove the spittyness) sounded really bad.
So look it up.

Quote:
the tech at madisound was VERY SMART. and said to not get too caught up in the impedance thing, so long as the fequency respnse works with the crossover and the the sensitivity is matched

A good idea, you might even get away with it Very Happy .

Quote:
a/d/s speakers are 4 ohm

Maybe they're a good replacement, but I think those never made it across the pond either.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean a thread about the morels sounding bad? can't find anything. or do you mean about the KEF replacments sounding bad?

i'm going to try some MDT30. madisound has a decent return policy. worth a shot. i've heard 3 people who tried the KEF replacments say they basiclaly don't like them, so rather than do the same thing, might as well try something different. i will see about rebuilding the T33 at a local speaker repair place here too.

see ya,
Robby

ColinR wrote:
Quote:
Morel MDT29 at £26 each.
Quote:
Wimslow Audio

There is a two page(?) thread somwhere on Audiokarma.org about both of the above and how the crossover suggested modifications (to remove the spittyness) sounded really bad.
So look it up.

Quote:
the tech at madisound was VERY SMART. and said to not get too caught up in the impedance thing, so long as the fequency respnse works with the crossover and the the sensitivity is matched

A good idea, you might even get away with it Very Happy .

Quote:
a/d/s speakers are 4 ohm

Maybe they're a good replacement, but I think those never made it across the pond either.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Bought a pair of Morel MDT30 Reply with quote

it's done, i've made my choice and im sticking to it Wink

Well, after some research, i tend to agree that both the T33 was never that great and that the KEF replacement is both overpriced and underwhelming. so, i bought a pair of Morel MDT30 tweeters. hopefully they will mate well. wimslow audio uses the MDT29, but the folks at madisound said the 30 will fit the same and sound even better.

yeah, i read lilke 7 reviews on the 107 and 107/2 on stereophile online and all said that the tweeter detracted from an otherwise incredible loudspeaker.

besides, madisound has a great return policy, so worth a shot.

Robby
oplancq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a pair of Morel MDT30 Reply with quote

centaurus wrote:
it's done, i've made my choice and im sticking to it Wink

Well, after some research, i tend to agree that both the T33 was never that great and that the KEF replacement is both overpriced and underwhelming. so, i bought a pair of Morel MDT30 tweeters. hopefully they will mate well. wimslow audio uses the MDT29, but the folks at madisound said the 30 will fit the same and sound even better.

yeah, i read lilke 7 reviews on the 107 and 107/2 on stereophile online and all said that the tweeter detracted from an otherwise incredible loudspeaker.

besides, madisound has a great return policy, so worth a shot.

Robby

Keep us posted !

Olivier
harry h
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby, recently I built a pair of T-Lines using B139,B110 ,T27,and DN12 crossover, (see personal treasures).
Anyway, one of the T27s was a tad scratchy, so I relaced both tweeters with a pair of Morel MDT32s and the resulting sound was very pleasing. Very Happy
I left the dn12 as it was but inserted a 2db L-pad in the tweeter line and I had to increase the cutout rebate dia by about 1.5mm.Thankfully I did this prior to painting the cabs.
Apart from the sweeter top end, the morels have far superior power handling.

harry
oplancq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended replacement for T33 in 104/2 Reply with quote

centaurus wrote:
Hi all,

got an email from Terry at wimslow audio. here's what he has to say about a decent T33 replacement:

The unit that we have successfully used in the 104/2 is a Morel MDT29
at £26 each. This unit will operate with the front faceplate removed and will fit into the same position as the original.
Regards
Terry
thanks,
Robby

MDT 29 is 89dB while T33B (SP1191) is 93dB...Don't understand how it would work (besides the impedance issue) without modifying the Xover ?

Olivier
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommended replacement for T33 in 104/2 Reply with quote

according to madisounds specs to th T33a: i bet there were two versions of the tweeter. was the T33b 4 ohm? is the b version what i have?

> > > > The T33A has the following specs:
> > > >
> > > > Fs 950Hz
> > > > Mmd 0.36 g
> > > > Re 6.1 ohm
> > > > Impedance nominal 8 ohm
> > > > BL 3.5 N/A
> > > > Qms 4.39
> > > > Qes 1.04
> > > > Qts 0.84
> > > > 90dB @ 1W/1M
> > > > Recommended frequency range 3kHz and up.[/quote]

MDT 29 is 89dB while T33B (SP1191) is 93dB...Don't understand how it would work (besides the impedance issue) without modifying the Xover ?

Olivier[/quote]
oplancq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T33B SP1210 is 93dB SPL at 4Ohms. I have the spec sheet if you are interested. Let me know your email.

Olivier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: