SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

T33 Replacement in C80

View previous topic :: View next topic  
django
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: T33 Replacement in C80 Reply with quote

T33 Tweeters seem to suffer very badly from Ferrofluid problems in KEF C80.
I have a pair of C80 which I managed to repair both B139 units after advice from Colin.
The tweeters on both of my units are very dull.
Looking through the forum I found reference to SP1192 as used in KEF Cara. I have a couple of pairs of Cara's so I thought I'd try the SP1192 in the C80.
The SP1192 are round but fit exactly in the opening left by the T33.
I've noticed that in most of the 'C' range KEF speakers, the Tweeter 'hot' tag marked with red has the blue wire connected to it. I thought at first that I was mistaken but on checking lots of others they are connected in a similar way. I originally connected the SP1192 with brown wire to red tweeter terminal and was not very impressed with the result in my C80. Eventually I realised that the red tweeter terminal should have the blue wire. The change was impressive, the tweeter now produces a very intgrated sound with the mid range unit.
Has anyone else noticed the fact that the blue wire goes to the red terminal on most KEF tweeters? Obviously the phase of the tweeter is very important to produce an overall integrated sound. The SP1192 is marked as 8 ohms against the T33 4 ohms. The result with the SP1192's fitted in my C80's is quite inpressive, the difference in impedance does not sem to have any marked effect. I've also noticed that using the C80 with the speaker connectors plugged to 'away from wall' position does not give a very good sound balance. When the speaker wires are fitted to the 'close to wall' position the sound balance is much better.

Nick Mellor
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: T33 Replacement in C80 Reply with quote

I see some bonzo is selling a T33 for £75 on eBay!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ONE-KEF-103-2-TWEETER-perfect-fantastic-sound_W0QQitemZ280016848996QQihZ018QQcategoryZ14993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

At these prices I'd certainly swallow my pride and go for something else if I had to...
The mindly simply boggles. Shocked

Last edited by proffski on Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still waiting to recieve my morel MDT29 for my KEF 104/2. terry at winslow audio swears that not only will it work, it sounds better! $48 USD a piece at madisound.com.

not sure, but i think you can swap the T33 faceplate to the morel. ask terry.

Robby
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
result with the SP1192's fitted in my C80's is quite inpressive

You should be impressed with that design, also used in the "K Series" and badge engineered for the Linn Index, as it's probably the most competent of all mass market tweeters.

Although made in Japan, it's apparently an Audax design, which is strikingly similar in construction to some current Morel, plus older and more expensive Vifa as well as some Peerless units.

Quote:
bonzo is selling a T33 for £75 on eBay

Not surprising as another pimp is flogging an old T27 A6535 for £40!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: tweeters & Lots of £! Reply with quote

I'm not sure I can take much more of this! Confused
I'd love another pair of T27s for yet another project, but at £40 each? Shocked

I do not think so! What makes it worse is that somebody is going to buy it... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: