SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Raymond Cooke 104.2s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coolcarbon
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Raymond Cooke 104.2s Reply with quote

Hi Chaps & Chapesses...

My first post, a wee bit cheeky asking for help/advice straight off I guess....but here goes.... Embarassed

I've blown a HF unit on the right system so have been looking to get it fixed.

I've just been quoted by Kef the part No. R1548X as the replacement unit required.

Looking through the threads here though, various other units are mentioned.

Could I tap into your collective knowledge and ask what is believed to be the way to go...?

Oh, and how difficult is it opening the cabinet to swap said units...I do intend to change both of course...

CC
Cool
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
quoted by Kef the part No. R1548X as the replacement unit required.

Not "required" but the current alternative that fits.

So find a dealer with pair of recent KEF Uni-Q speakers in his showroom and listen.

If you like the sound get the R1548X's.

If you don't like Olivier (oplancq), you'll have to get another to match whatever R1197X or R???? you've got already.

However if you suspect that the degrading Ferrofluid has had something to do with your blown T33mkII, consider following Robbie's (centaurus) lead and try something a tad different.

Otherwise you might find yourself revisiting this problem at some stage in the future.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively,

You could give http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/ an email, and ask about getting both tweeters re-built.

I am sure someone else here has actualy used them for Kef speaker drive unit repair ?
I myself "may contemplate" sending four Kef 107 bass drivers, a pair of 105.4 1057 mids, and a couple of T33's their way after Xmas for re-build/repair.

Regards,
Steve
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could give http://www.wembleyloudspeaker.com/ an email, and ask about getting both tweeters re-built

Might be worth a try, but a previous poster on this issue could only find one firm in Australia that would rebuild Ferrofluid designs and they don't do International repairs as a liquid filled tweeter falls under the "dangerous goods" heading for airfreight and they'd arrive knackered if they spent some of their time upside down traveling by surface mail.

So it looks like your next foreign holiday destination has been pretty much determined Cool .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no experience with either KEF's recommended T33 replacement nor what a properly working T33b actually sounds like. mine had very little output when i got my 104/2. what i can do is give you a synopsis of the following recommendations i tried:

wimslow audio recommendation: Morel MDT29 - sounded compressed, the thread for the wooden plate didn't clear the back of the magnet and it was at least 3db down on the 4 ohm tap (i use a tube amp). it's an 8 ohm tweeter (T33b is 4 ohm). sounded okay, but not worth rigging it into the cabinet. madisound.com has a full return policy (sans shipping) as long as you don't solder or permanently mount the tweeters.

Morel MDT30 - more expensive version of the MDT29. rear chamber definitely won't clear wooden pressure plate which holds the tweeter in place.

Vifa DXT25. cool design but won't fit. rigged it in with alligator clips and mounting. sounded much better than the Morel. it's a 4 ohm tweeter

WINNER: Vifa MG27 4 ohm. cheapest too. $22.10/USD a piece. fits perfectly and sounds very extended and airy. sounds great to my ears, but I'm sure more knowledgeable people would tweak the crossover a bit. the stock crossover probably has some phase compensation for the T33b that the Vifa does not need as it's more linear.

i'm no expert, but you have to take into consideration that KEF's recommended replacement is no more made for the 104/2 than the Vifa MG27. KEF's replacement is for their UNI-Q drivers. it's most likely just the closest thing they have that will work.

see ya,
Robby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: