SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you for this wonderful forum!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGBE
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Thank you for this wonderful forum! Reply with quote

Findiding this forum has been a very nice surprise.

I have been using and experimenting with KEF speakers since the mid 70´s and am using them right now.

I was feeling very lonely and out of place with my old speakers in this cybernetic world, but never found better ones.

So finding a bunch of crazy people like me made me happy.

In my next post I will tell you about them. But please, excuse me for my english.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you for this wonderful forum! Reply with quote

Welcome to the KEF sanatorium! My family certainly think it strange that I collect 'loudspeaker boxes' and 'bits' as they call them.

You have certainly found a bunch of likeable rogues with some amazing knowledge shared between them.
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you for this wonderful forum! Reply with quote

proffski wrote:
....rogues with some amazing knowledge shared between them.

Then there's members like me who don't actually know anything. Embarassed

But I still love the KEF sound!

Welcome, RGBE!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you for this wonderful forum! Reply with quote

Ah, even if that were true Gary your opinions are just as important to us as is the sense of humour!
RGBE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your welcome.
I am now reading all the posts in this Forum that, of course, are new to me.
I am astonished at your knowlodge about KEF speakers.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real experts are Colin, Terry, and Speakerguru... I'm not worthy...
RGBE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PROFFSKY, your contributions are very worthy.

By the way, the photo in your avatar is a painting, a self portrait, or what is it? I find it a bit... queer, unconventional. I am sure you have a better photo!
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing QUEER about my photo!

Taken during supervision of making a film.
Here: http://www.wilding.net/plan9/index.html
It was taken in the Biology/Mechanics/Sports Science laboratory of what is now laughingly known as the 'University' of Gloucestershire.
Used to be College of St Paul then St Paul & St Mary.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with loudspeakers except that I used the facilities in the woodwork department to do the entire panel cutting... For free!
RGBE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... now I understand! The photo is as unconventional as the film you were involved at the time.

I supose that your speakers, cut in a University, probably have an academic sound.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting a new thread so as not to annoy webmaster! Very Happy
svenne
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Coda and Chorale. What next? Reply with quote

I am also new in this forum. One year ago I bought an old pair of KEF Coda:s and that started my interest in KEF.
After the Codas I bought a pair of early Rogers LS3/5a 15 ohm because they have the same elements. Now they are my "reference".
The listening-room is only appr. 3x3m. Is it to small for 103.2 or 104ab?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No room is too small for transmission lines" according to Bert Webb.

Your room will attenuate below ~120Hz so a pair of stand (61cm) mounted Ref 103.2's augmented by a cheap sub-woofer if you feel the need to feel the bass Laughing will work nicely.

Ref 104aB's like to work in a bigger room, so you'll have to play around with those.

In my small, 10' square bedroom where all the computer equipment lives, music is supplied by a pair of Cambridge R50's, so Bert wasn't far off the mark.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: 104aBs in small spaces. Reply with quote

Many years ago we were invited to a party in Dunoon in Scotland.
The request was to bring my newly acquired 104aBs as well as the modified Radford HD250 amplifier and the Thorens 160.
We hired a minibus to take us there but for entertainment on the way there we hooked up the 104aBs to a cassette player, I cannot remember as to what the amplifier was except that in those days bridged car hi-fi amplifiers etc were not thick on the ground, so the available power to the loudspeakers was probably less than four watts.
Yet the quality was excellent and the small confines of the vehicle did not seem to upset the balance of the sound...

The flat where the party was held was above an excellent Indian restaurant not far from the submarine base and I remember a few American servicemen turned up with loads of free spirits and liqueurs.
Again the sound quality was perfectly acceptable, the speakers were put on small tables. Comments regarding the quality were most encouraging!

And the Hi-Fi survived and made it home two days later…
Oh those were the days!
svenne
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Stands for KEF Reply with quote

ColinR wrote:
"No room is too small for transmission lines" according to Bert Webb.

Your room will attenuate below ~120Hz so a pair of stand (61cm) mounted Ref 103.2's augmented by a cheap sub-woofer if you feel the need to feel the bass Laughing will work nicely.

Ref 104aB's like to work in a bigger room, so you'll have to play around with those.

In my small, 10' square bedroom where all the computer equipment lives, music is supplied by a pair of Cambridge R50's, so Bert wasn't far off the mark.

Now I am listening to my KEF Chorale on stands (58 cm).
They are standing appr. 30 cm from the wall and the sound is nice. I do not need more bass.

Reciever and CD are Rotel RX-845 resp. Rotel RCD-965BX.
Sounddifferens between Chorale and 103.2? Very Happy
RGBE

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my previous painting studio -medium size- I ejoyed for many years two monster 10 cu.ft. marble corner enclosures with 15" Wharfedale speakers.
Mid and top was served by a variety of combinations along the years -KEF latelly-.

When I tried to use smaller speakers, more logical for the size of the room,
for instance, BBC LS3-5A, I soon returned to the marble monsters, unless they were used as satellites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: