SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 104/2 T33b replacement winner is...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: KEF 104/2 T33b replacement winner is... Reply with quote

VIFA MG27!!!!!!!

fits perfectly and sounds awesome! I'm very happy!

i just got them up and running so i have to let them break in and listen more to give my absolute final evaluation. but i will says this. they sound light years better than the Morel MDT29 i was recommended as a direct replacement. the MG27 is 4ohm at 93.5db sensitivity compared to the MDT29 with 8ohm at 89db. the T33b is 4ohm at 93db.

now, i have never heard a working pair of T33b in a pair of KEF 104/2, so i'm just basing my thoughts against my other working speakers. KEF Calinda, Thiel 03A and JasZen Z-200. and all the the other speakers I've owned and listened to in the past. obviously the crossover was tailored for the T33, but the Vifas sound mighty nice as is. i'm sure you more knowledgable folks could tweak the crossover for the Vifas.

so, I've heard enough working stuff in the past to know if something sounded amiss with the Vifa MG27 in my KEF 104/2. they sound great so far. and at $22.10 apiece from madisound speaker components, you can afford to try them and see for yourself. just be sure to secure the dome to the magnet when you remove the flange. it's meant to be removable so you can replace thw voice coil if the tweeter blows. no big deal. the dome's mounting plate is notched in there pretty well, just a few strips of tape to make sure it doesn't fly off when mounting the tweeters and you are all set.

they fit perfectly between the two mid cavities. the wooden plate and pressure bolt slide perfectly over the back of the tweeter magnet. and the tweeter magnet even has a slot to secure the bolt in the center. it's like the MG27 was meant to be in there Wink

so, if you can live with Danish tweeters in your beloved British speakers, go or it!

see ya,
Robby
oplancq
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
interesting...is this the one here:
http://www.madisound.com/pdf/vifa/mg27sg29-04e.pdf

The height of the tweeter 38mm is not too much ?

Apparently those Vifas are now discontinued Evil or Very Mad Confused

Olivier
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Olliver,

no, the vifa i used is:
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=8992574.5877&pid=1381

the key is the depth from the top of the magnet to the back of the magnet, which is 24mm. as long as you and under 26mm, the wooden plaate and pressure bolt with slide over the back of it.

this one shouldn't be discontinued? if it is, maybe i should buy another pair, just in case.

well, madisound still has them if you don't mind the shipping from wisoconson to the UK.

check tymphany.com. email or call them saying you want a pair and need a dealer in the UK. they should be able to locate a pair. just say they are the ONLY tweeters that will work with your speakers. their replacement (the DXT25, i think) won't fit (i tried).

see ya,
Robby

oplancq wrote:
Hello,
interesting...is this the one here:
http://www.madisound.com/pdf/vifa/mg27sg29-04e.pdf

The height of the tweeter 38mm is not too much ?

Apparently those Vifas are now discontinued Evil or Very Mad Confused

Olivier
oplancq
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
how are your 104/2 vs your Calindas now that you have new tweeters ?

Olivier
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 104/2 are pretty spooky in their presentation. coupled with my REL Q100 sub, the sonics are so forward and in your face, throughout the audio spectrum, that it's a little unerving. but in a good way Very Happy

i put on some patricia barber from her modern cool cd. her voice sounded so close to me that i thought she was gonna smack me in the face Wink anybody who's listened to this cd, knows that it's incredibly recorded. the vifas sounded glorious. they are much smoother than the T27. the T27 are a bit more aggressive, which can be fun. but the MG27 are probably more satisfying tweeters in the long run. The Q100 sub is really tight and hits 25Hz flat. sounds a lot like the old acoustic research AR3 as far as LF response, but with sharper attack.

i still have to listen more to the 104/2, but the sub melds perfectly with the 104/2 i couldn't quite dial it in with the calindas.

the calindas are still keepers. they definitely adhere more to the notion of a large LS3/5a. sharp high frequency attack, killer imaging and balance. slightly recessed (but still sexy) mids. dry, but tight bass.

the calindas still put a smile on my face, but the 104/2 are just in another realm.

Robby

oplancq wrote:
Hi,
how are your 104/2 vs your Calindas now that you have new tweeters ?

Olivier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: