SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

probably not keeping the kefkit 3s but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roberte
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: probably not keeping the kefkit 3s but... Reply with quote

.. wanted to say hello anyway - and the Coda IIs aren't going anywhere.

Bought a pair of KK 3s earlier this year on the basis that I always liked my Codas (first ever speaker 20ish years ago) and were soon to have a larger listening room (4.5 x 8m) and the cabinets looked nice. And actually, as you will know, they don't sound bad at all. But they also don't sound the way I would like - more of which later. Looked into replacing crossovers, is the placement right, do they work with the rest of my system, should I start changing other things and so on but have concluded they are probably not the right speaker for me right now and will be appearing in the sale room shortly.

So what's wrong? I guess part of it must be expectation. They are big speakers but don't produce a correspondingly big sound. They do loud fine but that's not the same thing. The room is also fairly bare so that may not be helping. I find they sound best sat about 2m away - problem is I usually sit 4 to 6m away. I also listen quite quietly much of the time, and at that distance with low volume I just don't get enough detail.
Some things do sound great though - Ella Fitzgerald for instance.

So,

have I got these boxes all wrong, is there something fundamental I'm not doing that will bring them out of themselves?

or

is there someone else here for whom they would be absolutely perfect?
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: My type of sound Reply with quote

I built KefKit3s in 1976 and have used them continuously since. They have been modified by me since and have new non-KEF HF drive units, crossovers and other bits and bobs - and they make me happy.

No they cannot go loud happily. They are better at lower volumes. They do, however, have good clean and fairly deep bass in my opinion.

The new HF units make the speakers a bit more neutral or even dry - call it what you like. They are detailed and I consider natural sounding. What is natural?!

Having tried various other speakers my wife has always informed me that they are a poor substitute for the KK3s and she is always glad when the oldies get put back. The KKs don't mind where they are placed. Toe them in, face straight out or backs right to the wall and they still perform.

The only limitation is the power handling in my opinion. But I wouldn't want to rock the foundations and so that doesn't worry me.

Once upon a time when my electronics was cheap and nasty (Rotel) I thought that the speakers (my KK3s) were the limiting factor. Once I stuck quality in the front the speakers responded. More quality gave better performance and more quality still up front gave even better speaker performance. As we know garbage in supplies garbage out. Give the old KKs quality input and they say" thank you and look what I have for you".

By the way I love the B110s.
roberte
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Terry, I think the telling point is in your last line:

Quote:
By the way I love the B110s.

With any new piece of kit in a system there has to be something you love about it that makes you want to persevere and find out what it really has to offer.

With these KK3s it could be that the signal they are getting doesn't suit them; I'd be interested to know if there are any other Cyrus users here. But that's the question really; do you start changing the rest of a system that you were previously happy with to accommodate the new arrival? Or is it 'last in first out' - find a speaker that does better with the kit I have?

The Coda IIs have been shoved in corners and generally neglected for the past few years so at the weekend I decided it was time to set them nicely and give them a proper listen. And I was pleasantly surprised. It may be that the they aren't as 'revealing' as the KK3s so didn't show up shortcomings elsewhere, I don't know - but they were good to listen to.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coda IIs are too new for me to be able to comment. Very Happy

I have a couple of pairs or original Codas. Comparison of original Codas with the KK3s is however unfair and perhaps not too sensible. I have used the Codas as rear speakers in my cinema system. Currently, however, I prefer my Kans for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: