SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what amplification with 70s speakers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roberte
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: what amplification with 70s speakers? Reply with quote

Is there any concensus as to what to use?

Two broad options I guess:

something more or less contemporary with the age of the speaker for authenticity

or

amplfiers have come on a bit, use something modern - in which case are there certain brands that sit particularly well with older speakers?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start here

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/speakertalk/viewtopic.php?t=372

pay particular attention to the "professional" varients.

If you are into light bulbs, the one's with more bigger bulbs work better as KEF bass sections benefit from high damping factor designs.

The JVC 100 Watt rms 8 Ohm transformer coupled power amplifier design (like a Quad 50E on steroids), sounds good too.

Bridged designs like Quad 405-2 and Amcron DC 300A mkII work well, although bridged Harmon Kardon (>400 W rms 8 Ohm) power amplifiers sound like pooh, so tread carefully with AV amplifiers and their method of bridging.

Regarding new stuff, it should have some of the characteristics of older gear, either lifting it will make your eyes water or contact with the power supply will prove fatal.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
roberte
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: basic question if I may... Reply with quote

are 'current dumping' and 'class A' two ways of saying much the same thing?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are 'current dumping' and 'class A' two ways of saying much the same thing

No, a Quad 240/306//405/520/606/707/909 use both a low powered class A and high powered class AB amplifier in a specific combination, a type of "class G" I believe.

Class A amplifiers drive their output stages 100% of the time - hence the heat.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: NAIM Dropping... Reply with quote

In the past I found that my NAIM stuff went quite well with KEF loudspeakers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: