SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ls3/5a and kef code mk1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajswinscoe
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Ls3/5a and kef code mk1 Reply with quote

What are the differences between the 2 ?
I noticed somebody selling kef coda on ebay recently and the starting price was a tad under 300 pounds. A bit steep i thought. But its made me ask this quetion though
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are the differences between the 2 ?

A double skinned box rather than chipboard and a £70 crossover with three transformers and selected components rather than one ~£3 using two inductors and two capacitors, plus "selected" B110A with a specific frequency response that occured in less than 2% of all examples.
So you're NOT going to get a SP1003 off sleezeBay that comes close, no matter how good the spiel or feedback rating, unless the hammer's gone through another pair of LS3/5as Twisted Evil .

However if you turn them both up afer having a skinfull Razz they don't sound that different Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ls3/5a and kef code mk1 Reply with quote

ajswinscoe wrote:
What are the differences between the two?
I noticed somebody selling KEF Coda on ebay recently and the starting price was a tad under 300 pounds.
A bit steep I thought. But its made me ask this question though

Yikes! Shocked
I paid precisely £30 for a near mint pair from a local newspaper advert a few years ago. £300? Ye gods, as much I respect, admire and used to collect KEF the very tops I'd pay for a pair is £50... and they would have to have been in the original packaging for that!
MGM
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cost me about £125 to rebuild some Codas for my son. I managed to get a pair of B110s for £40.
That's low for these times...
The T27s were £45, but that is about the going rate.
The cabinets, which are in very good condition, ( with grilles) were a little more expensive that I thought.
Oh well, what can you get for £125 these days?
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MGM wrote:

Oh well, what can you get for £125 these days?

While I agree you can't get much with £125, I paid almost as much for a pair of R104ab 7 years ago. Plus shipping which was about another 40 (overseas). I suppose prices are going up on these buggers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> LS3/5a All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: