SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between Kef 104AB and Calindas ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: T27 Test. Reply with quote

Make absolutely sure that you take utmost care when using the tweeter without crossover, volume turned right down and preferably white noise. (FM Tuner not tuned to station will do).
Could end up being rather expensive...
adam_audio
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious....how do the Calindas sound compared to the 105.2, which I currently have in my main system? I've also heard Cantatas...but now I'm starting to become very curious about the Calinda or the KEF 104AB. I'm primarily interested in how the upper mids and highs compare to the 105 as I'm really after something that is as dark, warm, and smooth as possible.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the calindas are basically a computer optimized design of the 104ab. the calindas are a very detailed speaker on the high frequencies, thanks to the T27 tweeter. i believe it extends to 30kHz. it's a little spitty up there. but i find it to be very dynamic and exciting. cymbals sounds like cymbals.

let's be honest, lots of modern speakers try and smooth stuff out so much that cymbals and brass loose all their edge.

if you have an amp with decent current, the calindas have mids TO DIE FOR! if you use anything under 30wpc, tube or otherwise, the bass and "middy-ness" fall second to the tweeters.

they MUST be on stands. preferably about 9" high. I'm using AVF metal stands. reason being they are boomy on the floor (like most speakers) and you need to get the tweeter to ear level. the T27 is real spitty off axis.

I've heard that the Calindas set up correctly sound like big ass LS3/5a.

I've never heard the 105/2. i never had working tweeters in my 104/2 (i use vifa MG27). but some say the T33 is not that great and was a distant second to the T27.

See ya,
Robby
adam_audio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

centaurus wrote:
. but some say the T33 is not that great and was a distant second to the T27.

I've listened to the T33. In my opinion, it's unquestionably one of the worst tweeters I've ever heard.
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your 105/2 use the T33, correct?

Robby
adam_audio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

centaurus wrote:

Robby

No, they use the T52. My 105.2 are modified(fixed). They have new front panels, professionally finished custom made with black satin coated MDF and I've installed 10" Vifa woofers. All of the protection circuitry has been removed. The result is that the bass is fast and tight and integrates seamlessly with the B110 vs the flabby original woofer that sounded as though it was dragging behind in the separate room and leaving a hole in the mid-bass. Removing the protection circuitry brought with it new levels of transparency and silkiness. Still to come are floor spikes and I'm going to install some oil caps. If you want to hear the ultimate pair of 105.2s, come on up and hear mine sing with 30 wpc tube amplification. You're just down in Oakland, right? Not far from here....
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how far is oakland from the land of the lost?

Robby

adam_audio wrote:
centaurus wrote:

Robby

You're just down in Oakland, right? Not far from here....
oplancq

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam_audio wrote:
centaurus wrote:

I've listened to the T33. In my opinion, it's unquestionably one of the worst tweeters I've ever heard.

On which speaker ?

Olivier
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Adam,

don't take this the wrong way. i think the 105/2 are your speakers and you should be able to do whatever you want with them.

but being you didn't like the cantatas and you tore out the B300 woofers in your 105/2, maybe you just don't like KEF speakers?

you are also trying to make them do something they are not capable of. they are not very efficient speakers. and both tthe 105/2 and the B139 in the cantatas are NOT conducive to 30wpc tube amps. the bass will sound muddy and thick. your tube amp just doesn't have the dampening to control either speaker's woofers.

the sloppy bass you characterize in both the cantata and the 105/2 is indicative of your amplification, not necessarily the speakers themselves. sure, the vifas may just be better for lower power amps, but maybe you should find some more suitable speakers rather than modding the 105/2?

for example, my McIntosh MC60's sounded extended on my calindas, but a little thin in the mids and the bass was light. put on my quad 405-2 and vocals surround you and the they will shake the house.

on my 104/2 and the macs. the bass was a little loose, but the mids and were great. put on my quad 909 and the bass is real tight an punchy.

anyway. do you still have the cantatas? if you do indeed live close to Oakland, CA. wanna sell or trade them? Wink

see ya,
Robby
adam_audio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

centaurus wrote:
how far is oakland from the land of the lost?

Robby

adam_audio wrote:
centaurus wrote:

Robby

You're just down in Oakland, right? Not far from here....

I'll PM you directions....
adam_audio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oplancq wrote:
adam_audio wrote:
centaurus wrote:

On which speaker ?

Olivier

The 104/2. Mad
adam_audio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

centaurus wrote:
hey Adam,

don't take this the wrong way. i think the 105/2 are your speakers and you should be able to do whatever you want with them.

but being you didn't like the cantatas and you tore out the B300 woofers in your 105/2, maybe you just don't like KEF speakers?

you are also trying to make them do something they are not capable of. they are not very efficient speakers. and both tthe 105/2 and the B139 in the cantatas are NOT conducive to 30wpc tube amps. the bass will sound muddy and thick. your tube amp just doesn't have the dampening to control either speaker's woofers.

the sloppy bass you characterize in both the cantata and the 105/2 is indicative of your amplification, not necessarily the speakers themselves. sure, the vifas may just be better for lower power amps, but maybe you should find some more suitable speakers rather than modding the 105/2?

for example, my McIntosh MC60's sounded extended on my calindas, but a little thin in the mids and the bass was light. put on my quad 405-2 and vocals surround you and the they will shake the house.

on my 104/2 and the macs. the bass was a little loose, but the mids and were great. put on my quad 909 and the bass is real tight an punchy.

anyway. do you still have the cantatas? if you do indeed live close to Oakland, CA. wanna sell or trade them? Wink

see ya,
Robby

What attracts me to the KEF loudspeakers is the fact that I realize the T52 is probably the most well behaved and marvelous tweeter I've ever heard. It's also impossible to argue with the musicality of the B110. After last night's listening session, I've come to the conclusion....as I have in the past....that the 105.2 will give you exactly what you put into them. They are quite smooth, transparent, and Quad 57-like. However, stick a cold tube amp on them with a screechy cd....and yes, they will sound harsh. I saw god last night after my amp had been on for about 3 hours and I spun some vinyl. My problem is sources, not speakers.....however, I'm still interested in trying other units and yes...occasionally I panic and get brightitis, wherein I start to think my speakers are nasty sounding. Then I calm down and come back down to earth.

And another thing....I absolutely challenge the idea that my 30wpc Fisher tube amp is not enough power for these speakers. Bring your Quad amp and come on up here. If you can prove your point, I'll pay for your gas. Wink

-Adam

PS...the Cantatas were sold a while ago, but I do have a line on another pair, perhaps.
suffolk2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam_audio wrote:
Just curious....how do the Calindas sound compared to the 105.2, which I currently have in my main system? I've also heard Cantatas...but now I'm starting to become very curious about the Calinda or the KEF 104AB. I'm primarily interested in how the upper mids and highs compare to the 105 as I'm really after something that is as dark, warm, and smooth as possible.

if u want a dark,warm and smooth sound - my current setup is the one.

ARBailey kef transmission line driven by Rega equipment ie elicit amp and planet cd player.

i have also driven the calindas with the same setup and the top end is not spitty but smooth. i think its because the rega amp is failry neutral without a heavy top end. power output is 70 watts per channel,but using anything less power, and the top end will sound spitty and grainy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: