SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

104 104ab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sqawker
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: 104 104ab Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, first post

Just bought a pair of 104s, 1 T27 dead other dented in. on taking apart the dead T27 I was surprised to find the black dome is a cover for a further transparent dome which has the voicecoil winding. I've read some posts about pulling out dents by suction, but would this leave the inner transparent dome still dented ?, or are these domes meant to be joined together and on mine the bonding has gone. If the black dome is seperate are there any chances of the two domes vibrating against each other causing distortion. I notice that the original T27s where clear I wonder if these have only the inner voicecoil dome and if these sound different to the black domed T27. If the clear domed T27s sound better i think it might be possible to carefully remove the outer black dome, which would also allow pulling out any denting to the inner clear dome.

Or is this all about the bonding between my clear inner dome and the black outer dome failing.!!!

Nice to meet you all

Sqawker Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Sqawker and welcome to the forum. The outer plastic dome is just protection for the inner and probably works in the dispersion characteristics of the tweeter. I pulled some minor dents out of mine with a small plastic tube just suctioning it out by mouth. They came out quite easily. I think that the outer dome does serve a purpose, otherwise you would see all the LS3/5a owners pulling the domes off.

You might have to find another T27 and they are quite common on ebay.

I have the 104abs myself and just replaced the gasket on the B200s. YOu might pull your drivers to check to see if the brace in the back of the cabinet is still operative.

David
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er the black bit is paint, the mylar dome is clear. To repair "dinked" domes, either suck with a loo roll insert (in private!) or get a palette knife and ease the whole dome assembly off - it takes some practice so try it out on a dead 'un first. Once the dome is off smooth out the dinks with your finger for about twenty minutes then drop the dome back over its locating pegs and press the glued areas (yellow double sided tape is used in T15 T27 & T52's) back onto the metal faceplate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: