SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which KEF Uni-Q tweeters match B160 SP1366 bas/mid units?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiesiek Lipowski
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Which KEF Uni-Q tweeters match B160 SP1366 bas/mid units? Reply with quote

I would like to know which KEF Uni-Q tweeters are suitable for KEF B160 SP1366 mid/bass units to make a coaxial tandems.

Do newer KEF Q65.2 tweeters - SP1353 or NT-25 - fit all right? The outside diameter of the tweeters should be 1.25 inches (32 mm).

Do SP1446 tweeters differ much from the SP1353? I believe SP146 were in Q65, and SP1353 in Q65.2

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Wieslaw
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I know is newer tweeters stick out a bit, due to the bush on the rear of the unit being a tad longer than the originals.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which KEF Uni-Q tweeters match B160 SP1366 bas/mid units Reply with quote

Wiesiek Lipowski wrote:
I would like to know which KEF Uni-Q tweeters are suitable for KEF B160 SP1366 mid/bass units to make a coaxial tandems.

Do newer KEF Q65.2 tweeters - SP1353 or NT-25 - fit all right? The outside diameter of the tweeters should be 1.25 inches (32 mm).

Do SP1446 tweeters differ much from the SP1353? I believe SP146 were in Q65, and SP1353 in Q65.2

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Wieslaw

Wieslaw, are you buliding something or repairing?

Andrzej.
Wiesiek Lipowski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Which KEF Uni-Q tweeters are suitable for KEF B160 SP1366 mi Reply with quote

Hi Andrzej,

I am building Q65's replicas. What I have got are: two genuine KEF Q65 input panels/crossovers, two 4 ohms SP1385 bass units, and two B160 SP1366 mis/bass units. I bought those for relatively low price.

I have also built two proper enclosures.

I only need two tweeters for the SP1366's.

As the original Q65 tweeters are not available anymore, the question is which KEF Uni-Q tweeters - either old or currently made - can fit my SP1366 mid/bass units. Their diameter should exactly be 1.25 inches (32 mm).

Wieslaw
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NT25 has a ~1.25" diameter, but sonically it's about as friendly as a tom cat, so you will have to attenuate it's output with either a foam doughnut on axis behind your speakers' grill or stick in a resistive network to tone it down.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Which KEF Uni-Q tweeters are suitable for KEF B160 SP136 Reply with quote

Wiesiek, I have sent you email...
Wiesiek Lipowski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Which KEF Uni-Q tweeters match B160 SP1366 bas/mid units Reply with quote

>ColinR

I think NT-25 (SP1353) were used in KEF Q65.2 and were regarded as an improvement in Uni-Q concept. But I may be wrong.
What about their length? I do not want anything to protrude out of the B160's.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about their length? I do not want anything to protrude out of the B160's.

The bush on the NT25's is apparently ~2mm over size, so nothing will stick out.
Wiesiek Lipowski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Which KEF Uni-Q tweeters are suitable for KEF B160 SP136 Reply with quote

Quote:
The bush on the NT25's is apparently ~2mm over size, so nothing will stick out.

Thanks for the relieving information. I do not think the resistive network will be hard to find by ear once I get the tweeters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: