SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef 104ab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Streamz
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Kef 104ab Reply with quote

Hi recently aquired a set of these speakers, and I have to say they sound amazing. Unfortuntely one tweeter was dead, so I ebayed a replacement. But I'm now paranoid about blowing another tweeter, as the fuse does not seem to blow in time to save it. Is there something I can do (i.e. a different rated fuse) to better protect the tweeters?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEF 104's were fitted with 500mA anti surge (slow blow) fuses, replace with a smaller (400mA) quick blow fuse or do a "google" on polyswitch.

Malcolm Jones at www.falcon-acoustics.co.uk has an information sheet on his web site and can supply them.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Streamz
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Would this do the trick?

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/45c67d0900f4107e273fc0a87f3306bc/Product/View/P9342
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round about 1975-6 a KEF engineer called Chris Moore had a rig which blew fuses and measured their rupture point and time constant. After blowing hundreds of fuses he determined that a 400mA T (delay) fuse from a certain German manufacturer had a time constant which most closely matched the thermal time constant of a T27 voice coil and blew before the vc temperature exceeded its rated maximum. It was not 100% certain protection but no other fuse came even close.

That German source, of course, has long stopped producing that fuse, so there is no suitable replacement. The safest thing to do is have a smaller fuse but then you may get annoyed when it blows too often. Better than having to find another tweeter though......
Streamz
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How low a rating would I need to ensure that the tweeter was safe?

I would much rather change a cheap fuse than hunt down another tweeter.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 400mA F (quick blow), as Colin suggested, will probably be safe but may blow quite often if you like to play loud.

A 315mA F will be even safer but may be very annoying.

The choice is yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: