SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with T27, Seas Tweeters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Help with T27, Seas Tweeters Reply with quote

I recently inherited a pair of speakers with 4 drivers in each speaker. The four drivers are a KEF B139, a B110, a T27...and the other driver is a H211, made by Seas.

Both the T27 and Seas H211 tweeter are bad in one of the speakers. The other speaker functions fine.

Does anybody have any advice on replacing the Seas H211? I can't seem to find them anywhere. Is there an updated model?

Also, should I replace both of the T27's and both H211's at the same time?

Thanks for your help.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fun one.

Standard line up B139, B110 ,T27, Celestion HF2000.

Alternative line up B139, B110 ,T27, Coles 4001G.

Blown Clestion HF2000? Replace with a Seas H211.

I'd be prepared to make a pair of annular shims to get a Coles in a SEAS sized hole as Clestion HF2000's are getting a tad too expensive to buy secondhand.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
daveb
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you replace both t27's and both h211's? Or just the individual unit that's gone bad?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the T27 with a corresponding A6530, A6535 or SP1032.

The SEAS is functioning as a supertweeter from 9kHz upwards so you just need one Coles to begin with, a pair would be nice.

A couple of Piezos like Motorola KSN1036 (I've got a box of ten!) will also fill in your top end.

I forgot to memtion one combination Shocked .

B139, B110, Celestion HF1300, T27.

This uses a "right proper" crossover, but the Celestion is virtually indistructable and the ferrofluidised SEAS are usually used from 3.5kHz like the T27 so I still favour it's use as a supertweeter.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: