SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

which capacitors for my KEF Calindas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: which capacitors for my KEF Calindas Reply with quote

well, it's looking like my Calindas are going to be my main speakers of choice. coupled with my REL Q100 sub, they are awesome.

I've heard that KEF used electrolytics throughout the crossovers. is this right? if so, being 30 year old electrolytics are pretty leaky by now. would some decent polypropylenes be in order?

nothing stupid fancy. thinking solen or jantzen. there was some talk that the public calinda crossover schematic wasn't right. do we have a correct one?

thanks,
Robby
JimN
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: which capacitors for my KEF Calindas Reply with quote

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/Crossovers/Calinda/CalindaCrossoverIndex.html

If you move the 5uf cap in the LF section to the right of L2 (i.e. across the B200 input) and reverse the phase of the T27 you will have the correct schematic. The cap values are correct.

Good luck,
Jim
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you move the 5uf cap in the LF section to the right of L2 (i.e. across the B200 input) and reverse the phase of the T27 you will have the correct schematic

If those members who have copies of original KEF schematics, waterfall and phase plots had contributed copies to this site.
I wouldn't have spent £30 on a "ex-display" Meterman LCR55 and spent about eight weeks desoldering capacitors, measuring inductors and trying to work out some logical solutions.

The schematic is the way it is for a reason. So who's going to stick their head above the parapet and compare and contrast phase and waterfall plots between the 104aB, Calinda, etc?

Solens are a good choice for older KEFs, but you don't need to go overboard with the larger values. One made up of 20% solen and 80% electrolytic will give you the same effect as 100% Solen which above 20uF are just too big to hang of a KEF pcb.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
JimN
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have any original KEF schematics, but I do have a pair of original Calinda crossovers (SP 1055) in front of me and after double-checking I can only confirm that the layout is different to that shown on this site. The T27 is in phase with the B200 and the 5uF capacitor is wired across the B200 (not between the notch filter and L2).

Quote:
The schematic is the way it is for a reason.

It may well be that the site schematic layout offers an improvement over the original - I suppose it's up to the individual to try it and decide.

Regards,
JimN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: