SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

repair/replacement - 1972 Concertos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Lord
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: repair/replacement - 1972 Concertos Reply with quote

Hello to everyone on this forum. I have just become a KEF convert by chance - finding a pair of 1972 Concertos in a junk shop here in France for 20 euros (about twelve pounds). I am listening to some Schubert this morning and these are easily the best loudspeakers I have ever owned. However, the reason they were so cheap is that the B139 woofer has been removed from one of them, and in fact the tweeter has been replaced in the same cabinet with a non-KEF replacement. So after a few hours trawling the web I would be grateful for advice on the following questions:
1. Does anyone have a single B139 or know where I can get one? There is one on ebay but it is in Australia which seems extravagant.
2. For the tweeters, will I be better off finding one old T27 or replacing both so they are matched? In the latter case, someone else on ebay is advertising something called 'KEF SP1211 tweeters' which look much more recent but I don't know if they are compatible or of similar quality. Will they work in the same crossover network? These are in France so would be easier for me, but the best possible sound quality is a more important consideration.
3. The one speaker that is working with all its original drivers and crossover sounds wonderful - really as good as a studio monitor costing in this case about 100 times the price; but are there easy improvements or replacements that should be made routinely in something this old?
It looks like this is the place for expert opinion.
Thanks for any advice, help or ideas.
Skinley
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to replace the tweeter with a T27, they show up all the time on Ebay UK, as do the B139's.

Good luck.
Christopher Lord
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: what about BD139s? Reply with quote

One more question: can I replace the B139s with the later model BD139s or are these not compatible/inferior?
Skinley
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the BD139 is just a passive radiator, in other words it has no magnet assembly.
So in answer to your question, no you can't replace the B139 with BD139.
IsakAlexander
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Kef drivers Reply with quote

At marktplaats.nl, there are several kef speakers for sale. I may have one of the early t-27, you could have. As it is now I got one old and a new one, bought in 1991. I am looking for another new one.
suffolk2
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the BD139 is a passive radiator and will not replace the B139 which are fabulous bass units.

if you are stuck finding a pair of B139s, i have 2 which a may part with.

if interested, pm me.
essence
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: renovate or rebuild? Reply with quote

Just FYI, I have used Concerto units and used them in a new pair of HiFi Answers TL speakers. If you like the concertos, you will love the TL's. But it is a bit of work....

I've described it somewhere here...
Christopher Lord
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to those offering B139s, I have now found one on e-bay. Still looking for one tweeter. I'll look into re-building, etc. as the cabinets are not in good condition. By the way, is it worth replacing the crossovers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: