SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef Cadenza ABR surround rot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Munkey
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Kef Cadenza ABR surround rot Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I recently got given a pair of Kef Cadenza speakers, which are in perfect working order apart from the foam on the ABR units - I hear that foam rot is common on the older models (this one's dated from 1974). I'd love to get them working to replace the tired pair of Celestions I currently have.

I've emailed several speaker refoaming companies, but they do not have the weird shape surround available. Does anyone know where I could buy replacement drivers for a reasonable price, or even better just the surround? Any advice would be great - thanks!
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I know.

Getting the "straight bit" of surround is apparently the problem, most could probably supply the curved bit.

Now if you are any good at woodwork get a pair of the later rubber surrounded SP1042 ABRs and make some Marine Ply shims.

Or grind the "wide skirt" into a flat plate and fix the SP1042 to that.

Removing the SP1042 surround and doing a "retrofit" isn't a goog idea unless you've got a box full.

If you are coming to the NVCF tomorrow, PM me.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Munkey
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I'm not great at fine woodwork like that, so I don't think I can manage that - however, grinding sounds like a better idea. I didn't know that the later rubber-surrounds ABRs were different, thanks.

Any idea where to source a pair of the later ABRs from? I didn't think of cutting a round surround in half to get the curved bits - I'll email the refoamers again and ask if they have some straight bits.

I'm in Reading, so I'm afraid Leamington Spa is a bit of a run for me.

Thanks again.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm in Reading, so I'm afraid Leamington Spa is a bit of a run for me.

Just a thought as the Postage on a pair will probably cost as much as the petrol!

Apart from sourcing from ePrey you've got the wanted ads on retrohifi.co.uk and hififorsale.com

There are a couple of ePrey "speaker strippers" in Oxfordshire and one or two along the South coast around Brighton.

Otherwise later in the year it's the Audiojumble Tonbridge or one of the M25 shows like Leatherhead.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Munkey
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just picked up a pair of SP1042s on ePay for £30 posted, so I'll probably grind the edges down when they arrive.

Thanks for the help, I should have these up and running soon!
Munkey
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have to grind or cut anything in the end - all I did was drill four new holes and re-use the existing metal captive nuts. I used silicone bath sealant to seal the small gaps at the top and bottom.

And...they sound great! Thanks for the help in selecting the correct replacements ColinR.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: