SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

other concerto internal upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ady
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: other concerto internal upgrades Reply with quote

hello..

i haven't posted for a while - i have a pair of concertos, i've upgraded with the Wilmslow audio crossovers - These transformed the speakers form the original, very old looking crossovers - they seem much more detailed and clear now..

i've also put the speakers on spikes and then on concrete paving slabs - this has made the bass much less boomy and clearer..

i'm going to replace the old and small screw terminals soon..

has anyone replaced or tweaked the foam in the cabinet and had good results? The cabinets seem quite substantial so maybe damping of the wood will have little effect.

thanks

adrian
Jimmarsh54
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I upgraded my Concertos about ten years ago by putting in the Wilmslow Audio bi-wire Crossovers and replacing The T27s that were shot. On the inside of each cabinet I glued in 1" thick carpet underlay everywhere I could reach. The speakers sounded much better after all of this had been done.

If I remember by putting in the Wilmslow Audio crossover it ugraded the rating of the speaker from 50w to 100w - not that I've ever tried to wind them up that far!
andrelly
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: other concerto internal upgrades Reply with quote

ady wrote:

has anyone replaced or tweaked the foam in the cabinet and had good results? The cabinets seem quite substantial so maybe damping of the wood will have little effect
adrian

I think that the usual rule is:
1. The bigger the area, you would need more bracing and/or damping
2. The thiner the material, you would need more bracing/damping.
This is to reduce the resonance on the surface.

As to the foam, I am also waiting for inputs from forumers. I think that if you replace the foam with fibre, damping of cabinet would have to be done due to the lower density of the fibre compared to foam, due to the additional resonance....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: