SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cresta 197?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braver
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Cresta 197? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I recently inhereted a set of Kef Cresta's from the 1970's, and apart from a small scratch or two they're in near-new condition. So I've been looking for some info about them, but it's very hard to find. The History pages at the Kef site don't mention this model at all (there's an old Cresta model listed, but it looks completely different). Then I bumped into this site, which has been very informative already Smile

Anyway, it looks identical to this one (but in better condition):
http://hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/SpeakerSystems/Cresta/Cresta.html

But it has a different tweeter: it looks more like the T27 SPA6340. It's serial numbers are 865 and 866. It does have a tag with the assembler's signature on it, but the forth digit of the date is illegible on both speakers.

So I guess I've got two questions:
1. Does anyone know more about this model? When was it made for instance? Or what would it go for if I were to sell it (which I don't intend to, but still nice to know)? Anything is welcome really, especially since I can't ask the original owner Wink
2. And are there things I should pay attention to when pairing it with an amp? What kind of amp would you recommend? Either new or vintage (stil undecided here, but I do need to buy some new kit).[/img]
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tweeters on the 20/5/72 pair pictured are replacements.

Selling in the UK £35-£40 up to and over £80 if you export to the far East.

Worth more as parts to a LS3/5a wanabee.

Amplifier 8-15W SET if you're into lightbulbs.

Anything in the tranny line from 25 Watt RMS, so think in terms of an old mid 70s to late 90s Pioneer Sansui, Rotel, Radford, Sugden, Naim, Quad, Rogers, etc up to Amcron. Krell or Sumo 200+ Watt jobs.

Most cheaper (affordable?) AV amplifiers are pooh btw.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
braver
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the info. Nice to know how old they are. They actually don't look that old, aside from the fact that noone uses velcro anymore to attach the screens Wink
So yeah, I'll just continue my amp shopping, and going to arrange a listening somewhere. And indeed, staying far away from the AV stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: