SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on my stuff - lots has changed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Update on my stuff - lots has changed! Reply with quote

yeah, i know you'd all been waiting Wink LOL!

anyway, here's the update:

KEF 104/2 - SOLD!
i sold them about a month or so ago. they sound nice, but just weren't my thing. bass was tighter with the Quad 909, but still not the greatest. imaging was not as tight as the Calindas.

they do create a huge soundstage and are very warm speakers, especially with the Vifa MG27 tweeters (extended but smooth), but just a bit too romantic and lush for my tastes. they went to a good home though. the new owner LOVES them with his vintage McIntosh solid state gear.

Quad 909 - SOLD!
not a bad little amp, but i just dig my McIntosh MC60s better. i paid $700 for it and couldn't justify keeping it as it's a depreciating asset. with vintage, there's no monetary knock for holding onto it. not true for new stuff. got my money back out, so no harm, no foul.

Quad 405-2 and 34 - SOLD!
i might regret this one in the future. got my money back out, including the $300 for modding the 405-2. the amp sounded good with my precision fidelity C4 tube preamp and the Calindas. again, liked the macs better. i never gave much thought to the 34 preamp.

HOWEVER, the new owner came over to listen, i ran them together for the first time. HOLY CRAP! the amp/pre/Calindas sounded INCREDIBLE together. oh well, i wasn't gonna tell the guy no and the 34 preamp only has 1 amp out. so, no way to hook up my subwoofer. he's very happy and is running the combo with his Mission 700 speakers.

so, as of now, I'm just listening to what i got and enjoying it. taking a break from buy all this stuff. so, i have the macs and either my KEF Calinda, Yamaha NS-1000M or JansZen Z-200.

see ya,
Robby
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad you kept some of that!!!! Laughing

Enjoy............
centaurus
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! don't worry, the Calindas are keepers.

Robby

Gary wrote:
Well, I'm glad you kept some of that!!!! Laughing

Enjoy............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: