SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

103.2 Design objective?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: 103.2 Design objective? Reply with quote

I once read some where that the 103.2 was developed as a kind of replacement for the LS3/5a but then they dropped this and just released it as a consumer speaker.

I kinda smell a lot of BS, is there any truth in that at all?
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

103.2 was a much bigger speaker, I think the P60 was a professional, more advanced version of the 103.2 for monitoring work?

Do you mean perhaps the 101? This was much more a 3/5a replacement, much flatter in response and higher power handling and less lumpy bass? Never took off to the same reputation as the little BBC speaker though, even though 3/5s problems of manufacture were legion with the special selection of B110s, and later their drift requiring a redesign to the so-called 11 ohm version.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was an aim to build an LS3/5a replacement, the Ref 101 is the logical equivalent. KEF even got a license eventually and built an LS3/5a version - thousands of these actually.

The LS3/5a was aimed for use in vans where the crammed space required a small loudspeaker. That was the purpose for that designation and any bigger enclosure would be unsuitable.
speakerguru
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did install some 103|2s in a BBC outside broadcast (OB) van once, when the LS3/5A was not considered loud enough. They were supplied with a KUBE type bass extending circuit. I think they were used to monitor the 1st Live Aid concert. That being a one off occasion, afaik they were never used again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: