SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JR 149s - Red Vs Gold Logo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeytheo
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: JR 149s - Red Vs Gold Logo Reply with quote

Hi,
I have two sets of the JR149s - one Red logo and one Gold logo. Am looking to sell a set - I realise that the Red logo version are older - does this make them more collectible? From a sound point of view, I find very little between them with perhaps the edge going to the Gold logo version which has had crossover components replaced. Which to keep ?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With JR 149s you should always look beyond the colour of the logo.

Around Christmas a “turkey” was well stuffed on ePrey when they purchased some JRs with red logos, without serial number labels and fitted with crossovers that had spare fuses too!

One should look at the schematics drawn out with serial numbers by myself on Graham Hartle’s website; count the resistors on the crossover; fuses only appear on JRs with gold logos and five digit serial numbers.

A JR 149 should have functional drive units with ears made of “deadsheet” around the T27 and a piece of foam above it filling the void between the end piece and metal mesh.
The crossovers and colour of logo should be consistent with the still visible paper serial number on the base.

The B110As should have black frames and not possess serial numbers, as the surround is less compliant than wwyy examples.

If any of the above are missing walk away, for the likelihood of the pair being a marriage of disparate parts is quite high due to the mode of construction.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Other speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: