SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF 107 & McIntosh MC252

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laemmle
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: KEF 107 & McIntosh MC252 Reply with quote

Anyone driving 107's with McIntosh ss?

To me this is a fantastic pairing!
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Not McIntosh SS here. But using R107.
Have used a variety of amps and prefer Classe and Krell SS power amps.

Never had much luck with Valve or Valve hybrids, but did use valve pre's, which I miss.

I would be interested in Tact pre amplification I guess, as it would solve the problem of running an unbalanced Kube and could solve some of the transparency issues of the Kube EQ.

I used to swap between RCA connection with Kube and XLR without Kube, to be honest I can at times find the Kube detrimental.

Steve
Laemmle
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I find if the KUBE is removed from the signal chain the resulting sound is thin, tinny, ill-defined....and the bass having no real foundation...but that is to my ears!

L
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laemmle wrote:
Steve,

I find if the KUBE is removed from the signal chain the resulting sound is thin, tinny, ill-defined....and the bass having no real foundation...but that is to my ears!

L

Hello Laemmle,

I am not saying it is better without the Kube, just that the Kube does affect treble performance and overall transparency enough to be noticeable. It does add some vieling with slight noise/hiss.

I wonder if digital DSP such as Tact would replicate the Kube functions (though no doubt remove some of the user adjustments) with added resolution and transparency? I am also aware Meridian did have a pre amp with Kube 107 DSP functions which gave better performance than the Kube.

I myself am on my second Kube, and would like it to be more transparent, quieter and better, though would also prefer a Balanced option like you mention. It is a requirement for proper Kef R107 EQ, but could be improved upon no doubt.

I am also interested in improving treble performance some time in the future when funds allow.

So can you post any pics of your system and set up? My own system usually consists of Theta and Krell on Mana supports, with a Michell Gyro SE, SME IV and a Sonic Frontiers valve phono.

My Rohann need retipped or replaced though. And due to certain duties and constraints (young children, a nee to re-decorate, and injury) my main set up is not in use at the moment, currently in use is a Technics SU-MA10 amp, running an EAD transport via a Genesis Digital Lense, and DVD and PC also as sources.

My old Kef R107's have had new bass drivers fitted not that long ago, and also sit on Mana supports.

All the best,
Steve
Laemmle
Junior Contributor 20+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Some years ago there was a fellow who claimed he worked for KEF; made a device called the 'magic flutes'....this device allowed the KEF speaker designed for a KUBE to run without it....I believe the device was fitted between the pre and the amp....my cousin has KEF 104's with these magic flutes....claims the reproduction is non-beatable!

I do have a digital camera, but do not know how to upload pictures....can you explain this in detail? I would then be happy to show pictures of the balanced KUBE.

L

Parts wrote:
Laemmle wrote:
Steve,

L

Hello Laemmle,

I am not saying it is better without the Kube, just that the Kube does affect treble performance and overall transparency enough to be noticeable. It does add some vieling with slight noise/hiss.

I wonder if digital DSP such as Tact would replicate the Kube functions (though no doubt remove some of the user adjustments) with added resolution and transparency? I am also aware Meridian did have a pre amp with Kube 107 DSP functions which gave better performance than the Kube.

I myself am on my second Kube, and would like it to be more transparent, quieter and better, though would also prefer a Balanced option like you mention. It is a requirement for proper Kef R107 EQ, but could be improved upon no doubt.

I am also interested in improving treble performance some time in the future when funds allow.

So can you post any pics of your system and set up? My own system usually consists of Theta and Krell on Mana supports, with a Michell Gyro SE, SME IV and a Sonic Frontiers valve phono.

My Rohann need retipped or replaced though. And due to certain duties and constraints (young children, a nee to re-decorate, and injury) my main set up is not in use at the moment, currently in use is a Technics SU-MA10 amp, running an EAD transport via a Genesis Digital Lense, and DVD and PC also as sources.

My old Kef R107's have had new bass drivers fitted not that long ago, and also sit on Mana supports.

All the best,
Steve
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Laemmle,

I use Photobucket.

It's easy to register, and upload photo's from selected folders from your PC.

Once done all one needs to do is write like this then, open up your browser on another page, log into Photobucket, choose your uploaded picture and click on "IMG Code" which should say copied.

Then left click the space below yout text, right click and paste,

Steve
Smile
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops,

Of course I should maybe re-size some of the pictures....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> Audio equipment All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: