SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Butchered B110's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sashmo
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Butchered B110's Reply with quote

Hello again,
well I've been working away at my new CS7's and I'll have to approach each problem individually so I hope that doesn't test anyones patience too much.
The B110's (SP1003) are working but the metal strip which attaches the braid from the cone to the frame is broken on 3 of the 4 connections.

I'm just an average solderer so soldering behind the frame seems to be out of the question so....would it be OK to insulate a small part of the braid and then resolder to the front of the frame? Untidy, but would it be OK?

I'll squeeze in a 2nd query...I know that this was originally designed for the
B139 (SP1044) woofer but this had been replaced by a different beast, SB0174 and both of these are beyond repair. (lucky I have spares SP1044's)
Would the replacement have required and mod to the X/over? The reason I ask is that the X/overs have their problems too.
Laughing Laughing Yeah, well I NEEDED another project.
I'll leave that for another day.
Thanks and I appreciate any advice.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Butchered B110's Reply with quote

sashmo wrote:
The B110's (SP1003) are working but the metal strip which attaches the braid from the cone to the frame is broken on 3 of the 4 connections.

As long as the braid is not damaged and therefore too short, you can just unsolder it from the broken tag and poke it throught the centre of the rivet and solder that. Easier and neater than anything else. Check with a meter that none of the connections short to the chassis.
sashmo
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speakerguru,
thanks for that. Everything is obvious when an expert makes it obvious.
At this rate the project might not last through winter.
sashmo
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've done the mids as per instructions and so onto the X/overs.
It goes w/out saying that the caps will be replaced BUT 3 of the values are unobtainable...0.6, 7 and 20 uF. Can these be subbed with close values or used in parallel to get close?
Now the coils.....L3 1.6mH. One is burnt out and the other was replaced with a 3" length of speaker wire (not even soldered). I did say it was butchered!
L4 3.0mH...one burnt out and the other looks OK .
I'm willing to have a go at winding these myself just for therapy but maybe it's moot anyway.

Now please berate me if I'm heretical now but.....
I have a pair of Concerto X/overs sitting here doing nothing, sooo...seeing the only difference is the tweeter (T27 vs T33A) and ported vs enclosed cabs, could I use these instead? What mods would they need?
Would you do it? Should I be burnt at the stake for thinking it?
Thanks for the help. I WILL finish this.
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't realised www.speakerbits.com had gone down the toilet to the extent of only selling audioponce inductors, poofter capacitors and a limited range of Solens Sad .

As the rest of South East Asia only want minimum orders of 1000 I suggest you contact Falcon Components http://www.audioloudspeakers.co.uk/falcon_inductors.shtml

Finally for the heretical postulate; burn the witch!Twisted Evil .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
sashmo
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally for the heretical postulate; burn the witch!Twisted Evil .

I think I'll take that as a no!!

On the caps... I've been looking but have come to the conclusion that maybe close enough will have to be good enough.

For the 0.6 is 0.47 close enough
" " 7.0 how about a 4.7 and a 2.2 to give 6.9
" " 20 " " a 22 or a pair of 10's
It will make the board a bit untidy but out of sight is out of mind. But with my exquisite soldering skills I will overcome this.
Laughing

Any better solutions forthcoming? I truly do appreciate the help I'm receiving here. Smile
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugging in "0.6uf capacitor in Australia" in Google lead me to the Evox Rifa website and ........

Arrow Electronics Australia Pty. Ltd - Head Office
sales.anz@arrowasia.com Australia +613 9574 9300 +613 9574 9773 9-10 Bastow Place
P.O. Box 623 Mulgrave,
Victoria 3170
Arrow Electronics Australia Pty. Ltd - Sydney Office Australia +612 9868 9900 +612 9868 9901 Suite 301, Building A,
240-244 Beecroft Road Epping NSW 2121
Arrow Electronics Australia Pty. Ltd - Adelaide Office Australia +618 8333 2122 +618 8333 2322 Suite 8
The Parks
154 Fullarton Road Rose Park SA 5067
Arrow Electronics Australia Pty. Ltd - Brisbane Office Australia +617 3623 9000 +617 3216 5750 Unit 2A
23 Vauxhall Street Virginia QLD 4014
Arrow Electronics Australia Pty. Ltd - Perth Office Australia +618 9472 3855 +618 9470 3273 Suite 1
64 Canning Highway Victoria Park WA 6100
Arrow Components (NZ) Ltd
Christchurch Offica New Zealand +64 3 366 2000 +64 3 366 2111 Suite 3, Level 1
12-18 Moorhouse Avenue
PO Box 19 Christchurch NZ
Wellington Office New Zealand +64 4 570 2260 +64 4 566 2111 Level 1
Crest House
92 Queens Drive Lower Hutt
Welllington NZ
Auckland Office
sales.anz@arrowasia.com New Zealand +64 9 6220 101 +64 9 2722 310 Suite 3, Unit F, Torrens Road Pakuranga,
Auckland

So call/email Smile , asking never hurts.

When making up parallel banks of capacitors out of smaller values I keep in mind the (approximate) 6dB/octave crossover series.

20k, 10k, 5k, 2.5k, 1250Hz, 625Hz, 312.5Hz, etc.

1uF, 2uF, 4uF, 8uF, 16uF, 32uF, 64uF, etc.

Individual components must not have a resonant frequency near to the crossover point or within the operating range of the drive unit.

Remember folks I'm an Industrial Chemist, so simple is good Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without access to an LCR meter, +/- 5 to 10% will probably be the best you can do. With a meter, +/- 1% would be your target.
You can parallel capacitors to make up any value. Assuming you can buy inductors, you can wind down larger inductors to get smaller values.
p.s. The E6 series is 1.0, 1.5, 2.2, 3.3, 4.7, 6.8 (log spacing)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: