SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rake angle on Maidstone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
O'Shag
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Rake angle on Maidstone Reply with quote

SpeakerGuru, I need some direction again and would appreciate your input. Andrew Watson is a hard man to get a response from through the general KEF email. I've requested assistance from KEF via email several times to no avail. I'm afraid customer service is not one of the current KEF company's strong points , must do wonders for sales-

My listening room is not very large 22-15, and I have the speakers perpendicular to the long wall contrary to the norm. My listening distance is about 9ft from the drivers. The Maidstone relish space to breath I've found. Moving the speakers forward of the front wall does really open them up in terms of staging. Incredible bass response as you know. The lower frequency performance of this speaker is as powerful as the Wilson Alexandria X2, which one of my friends owns and which I hear quite regularly. I actually prefer the Maidsotone's bass.

Something I've just discovered is the difference changing the rake angle makes to the sound. If one moves the rake angle so the speaker is almost upright with very little or no rake, the sound becomes noticabley less time coherent and muddy. I've found that adjusting the rake angle with more tilt improves clarity. From a critical listening perspective, the response changes even with slight adjustments - weird! Is this because I am listening in the near field.

If I had a manual things would be so much easier - chance would be a fine thing. Hopefully you can shed some light on some rules of thumb for listening distance and rake angle. Thanks for your help

Cheers Mate
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rake angle on Maidstone Reply with quote

It is sad that there is nothing available on the internet regarding your quandry.

There is a little on the magic beast by Mr Watson here: http://www.cobrason.com/data/fr/articles/r109pap.pdf
But nothing relating to positioning.

I have one trick up my sleeve but please do not hold your breath!
O'Shag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Thanks Profski! Reply with quote

Your tops Profski and I very much appreciate your input. I've seen that article as it happens, but your right, it doesn't really go into much detail. That Mr Cecconi is a fine figure of a man though - and the rumour is he's the real brains of the outfit, I think SpeakerGuru might agree with me nudge nudge wink wink say no more Wink

I would think that there would be more info on this, is it the best speaker KEF ever built? well perhaps the Muon is more advanced (is it?) and Artistic but surely the Maidstone must warrant some mention by KEF on thier website if only in a historical context. Its as if anything regarding the Maidstone has been swept under the carpet. Look on the KEF website and try and find information on The Maidstone. There used to be info in the history timeline but its not there any more. Why? Is ther some horrible secret? Are KEF ashamed of this speaker, or perhaps the new corporate owners are intimidated by it and tremble at the mere mention of it. Just kidding. But all the same it is strange. I just wish I had more information.

Any more input is welcome Profski - good to hear from you
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Profski! Reply with quote

Tricky, KEF still make sme good loudspeakers but I too am puzzled as to why more pride is taken in their foundation and history.
The gaps in their 'museum' are numerous and sadly lacking in concise information regarding many of their products.
If I was working for KEF I'd be more than happy to work on the site in my own time and unpaid!
Regarding the Muon loydspeakers and the use of activated carbon I have some questions, but later...
My man is trying for your manuals, fingers crossed...

Last edited by proffski on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Profski! Reply with quote

O''blocked word', You might be surprised at the member list of this forum!
O'Shag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Proffski,

Thanks dear sir - I would be very grateful. I wish I could communcate with Andrew Watson directly via email to ask him the questions I need to ask - he surely would know the answers. If you were somehow to know how to reach him Proffski perhaps you could provide him with my email address; adaosha@yahoo.com

Incidentally, Jon Valin (I think it was Jon) heard the Muon at a show recently and was very impressed which should bode well for marketing the speaker in the US. Also, John Atkinson gave the 207/2 a great review recently.
O'Shag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Terry,

hope all is well

Given the quality of this forum it wouldn't surprise me if a few KEF folks dropped by from time to time.

In my previous comment regarding the KEF website, specifically the lack of information regarding the Maidstone- I'm sure KEF folks have a lot to do and its difficult to take care of everything, but it would be nice to see.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rake angle on Maidstone Reply with quote

O''blocked word' wrote:
I need some direction again and would appreciate your input. Andrew Watson is a hard man to get a response from through the general KEF email.

I'm certain that KEF work AW very hard indeed. Corresponding with people who have picked up old second hand KEF speakers, could end up taking a lot of time that he doesn't have.

The Maidstone resulted from a lot of pressure to produce a "Flagship" by the Japanese distributor at that time. You could not be taken seriously in Japan as a "high end" speaker company unless you had a "Flagship". There even had to be a "supertweeter" option for the Japanese market. I don't remember much about the unit. I do know a supertweeter is irreconcilable with the Uni-Q coincident source principle. Maybe the Maidstone is now seen as a technical dead end.

Re placement; it depends heavily on the geometry and structure of your listening room. Only you can experiment and listen until you are happy with the sound. The low frequencies will be affected by reflecting surfaces so, in your case, experimenting with distance from the back wall and, if you’re feeling strong, raising off the floor may give the result you are looking for. Your preference may also depend on the track you are listening to as a result of the speakers used for mixing the recording. There is no absolute right answer, I’m afraid.
O'Shag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeakerGuru,

yes I've owned several 'old used' KEFs, I've also bought a brand new pair of KEF Reference 207s about six years ago at very considerable expense - that I have since sold and some of that money went towards buying the Maidstone. I've been an ardent and loyal supporter of the KEF brand over the years even in the face of negative comments, and have liberally trumpeted KEF as a manufacturer of the best products and services to my friends and to others in forums over the years. I would say that I'm a little more than a guy who just happened to buy some old used KEFs.

Sorry to have troubled you and thank you for the information you've provided.
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O''blocked word' wrote:
I've been an ardent and loyal supporter of the KEF brand over the years even in the face of negative comments, and have liberally trumpeted KEF as a manufacturer of the best products and services to my friends and to others in forums over the years.

O''blocked word'

You are in good company here. Criticism of KEF speakers from the period under discussion is not much in evidence in this forum. Your contributions are most welcome and many of us, I am sure, are very envious of your Maidstones.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Envious? Me?
Just because I have gnawed my leg off... Smile
O'Shag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Terry, Proffski, and SpeakerGuru.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O''blocked word' wrote:
SpeakerGuru,
I would say that I'm a little more than a guy who just happened to buy some old used KEFs.
Sorry to have troubled you and thank you for the information you've provided.

No trouble and no offence intended. I do not know how KEF or AW view you. I can only speculate as to how a direct approach from you to the company would appear to them.
O'Shag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do see your point. I'll soldier on and see what I can accomplish myself based on what I've learned so far. Thanks again for your help.
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have your user manual for the Maidstone loudspeakers next week.
Then we can talk about getting it to you...

Christmas comes early for some! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: