SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kef/Rogers transmission line advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alastair1937
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Kef/Rogers transmission line advice Reply with quote

Hi All !
just joined the group great to meet so many Kefaholiks.I've been using Kef speakers for longer than I care to admit.Well at long last I'm about to embark on CJ Rogers Kef trasmission line monitor with the usual B139/110/T27/Coles supertweeter.Does anyone in the group have any tips to offer ie. internal wiring,sand filled walls etc this to me is a pretty daunting task and approached with great trepidation not being the most skilled DIY freak or patient for that matter !Any advice appreciated
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Alastair

What are you intending to use for crossovers - build or buy?

Vance Dickason (The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 6th Ed) has some advice on p99-103 about box shape and construction including damping, damping materials and bracing. He also provides some references which yoou could follow-up.

Have you followed up any links/contacts from this site to Transmission Line designs, sites and individuals?

Terrt
alastair1937
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Transmission Line Design Reply with quote

Hi Terry,nice to meet you on the web I've read all your postings,I'm on the island of Islay on the west coast of the Island.Yes I have been all over the web looking for advice and opinions and articles on Tranmission Line Monitors.From what I can gather,yes the cabinets need bracing of course and they are rather large and reasonably complex inside but it seems the acoustic forces at work inside a long tapered line are much less than those at work inside an infinite baffle design ! After looking at many designs I have come full circle back to CJ Rogers design using all the Kef units I already have plus the Coles supertweeter.The crossovers are new from Wilmslow.I may sand fill the largest panels as once they are installed they wont be moved around [one hopes] I made similar ones in the past but in two separate boxes for bass and mid and mounted the trebble units on a pod on top.They worked very well indeed but ones other half hated the looks so Ive had to compromise this time round !!!
Cheers Alastair
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alastair
I am flattered that you would read all my postings. I am the facilitator rather than the expert here. Regarding transmission line speakers you might find that Colin Royle can help. His email address is found many places on the site.
I have visited Barra, South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist, Harris, Lewis, Skye, Mull, Iona and Tiree but I have never made it to the most southerly of the Hebridean Isles. The Isles are beautiful - but I suspect that you have even less chance than I have of meeting fellow enthusiasts. The Internet is a wonderful place!
Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: