SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just saying Hi..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdwhelan
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: just saying Hi.. Reply with quote

Recently won a pair of Kef Calinda speakers on ebay, some of you may have seen them go for about 23.01. Previously had a pair of Kef 104's which were O.K but nothing compared to these Calinda's.

Anyways i hope to be on here more in the future with questions regarding my speakers, the plan is to re-wire them inside and refurb the cross overs with all new caps, resistors and coils etc. So any tips from the pro's will be muchly appreciated.

Thanks

Paul
andrelly
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. There are many experts here that will be able to advise you on the parts/wire replacement. I have had lots of help in rebuilding my KEF, whose caps were busted.....
Cheerio... Very Happy
Gary
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You like the Calindas better than the 104's?!?!?

I've never heard the 104's and I assumed they would have been much better than the Calindas!

I have a pair of Calindas..... great speakers!
pdwhelan
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be getting confused with the 104AB's which have a better cross over compared to the Standard 104's. But the Calinda's have a slightly better cross over (i think so anyway) and also the Calinda's use B200 SP1054 Bass/Mid unlike the 104 (AB's) which only use the SP1039. Not a massive difference but i think its enough to notice.

The Calinda's are just an overall better speaker in my opinion. Look and sound better, also feel better aswell and oddly my girlfriend likes the look of them too, I won't bother asking her to review the sound of them because her responce is (It sounds the same) lol

Thanks
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model 104 and 103 were all designed at the time that the Spendor BC1 was the speaker to beat. Angus McKenzie, the hi-fi mag guru of the time was a big BC1 "low colouration" speaker design fan. Apart from cabinet and unit damping another tweak to lower colouration was to suck out the midrange. Hence the contour control on the 104. Flat on axis was actually "+". "0" and "-" gave a 1 and 2 dB broad midrange suck-out. I remember when I got my first hi-fi speakers, the 104. I put my favourite Dooby Brothers track on and was very disappointed. Where had all the vocals gone? I was so used to listening to unequalised speakers!

The Calinda was from a slightly later period when, as a result of impulse testing, KEF had worked out how to use the XO phase response to point the (flat) listening axis up towards the listener. Hence the woofer above the tweeter in a floor standing design.

(KEF aquired and installed their first HP Fourier Analyser in 1975)
pdwhelan
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever clogs, couldn't you just say that the Calinda are better speakers instead of confusing my tiny mind. lol. Thanks for the info though speakerguru, you seem to know your stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: