SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

107 total refurbishment - advice needed please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhiollyrubgt
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: 107 total refurbishment - advice needed please Reply with quote

I thought i would start a new topic as the more advice the better.

I had sent the drive units for my 107's off to 'audioloudspeakers' as they were recommended to me by Kef and they said it would take 6 weeks to get the drive units rebuilt (all 4 bass), new dust caps on the midrange, tweeter's checked and caps on all crossovers that have lost their value replaced.

Now that was about 6 months ago!

The first reason they gave for the delay, was that they had moved premises and they were waiting for the machine that does the centre dust caps to be installed in the new premises. I phone them every 2 weeks and the explanation is the same.

What do i do? swallow the postage cost (sending and in future receiving them) and get them to send me the components back not fixed, risking them not packaging them properly or bits missing etc and then getting another company to do the work knowing that they probably wont do an exact original doughnut dust cap re-fit.

It's so frustrating as they are not very apologetic. To them it seems waiting a few years would be quite reasonable because i should understand. BUT how do i know that they are not just stringing me along or going to make me wait another 6 months +. Do they think that these speakers are easily replaced? I have tried to buy cheap speakers to tide me over but there is totally no point.

Sorry to go on but all owners of their dream speakers must understand where i'm coming from.
The more advice i get the better because my thoughts have gone back and forth that many times, i just don't know.
Thanks for listening.
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you ask them to return the drivers to you at their cost. And inform KEF about it at the same time.
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if having a "legal" letter draughted would in any way help?

I think 6 months is taking the piss, and I myself WILL NOT be using or recommending "Audioloudspeakers" in any forum discussions in the future after your experience. (I have four spare Kef R107 bass drivers which require re-foaming)

I think getting your drivers back is a priority if they are not repairing them, and a curteous complaint to Kef may be in order.

Not that complaining to Kef may get you anywhere, as I feel Kef offer similar poor service these days.

Kef were not helpfull or honest with me regarding my drivers, and I ended up paying more than I had originally been quoted, as they seemed to have disregarded my pre-ordering and waiting for a year while others were buying the same drivers. Nor did I get all the correct mounting hardware or required gaskets, nor any technical specification regarding my drivers and speaker system specs.

Previously they used to be superb, very curteous, helpfull etc, I even got supplied the circuit diagrams for my old Kube back in the old days just through talking with the old tech department.
rhiollyrubgt
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEEEEHAAAA!!!!

Finally got my drive units back, installed and totally finished the 107's!

In the end, i got 'audioloudspeakers' to return the drive units back to me after 9 months. I then sent them off to wembley loudspeakers and within 2 weeks they were done.

I think if i were to do this small project again, i would obviously use 'wembley' for the drive units and use a different internal speaker cable as although they sound really good using 'silver anniversery', it was a nightware to work with - too stiff, too thick and the outer sleeve is made of a material that doesnt allow seperation of the ends of the cable without cutting all the way (instead of cutting a little bit then pulling apart).

Things for the future - i want to do something with the 'Kube' upgrade wise so any suggestions are most welcome.
vistisen
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that your story ended happily Smile .

I don't know what your budget is, I dropped using a KUBE and bought a DEQX PDC 2.6, Try searching this forum, I have mentioned it a couple of times Laughing

Imagine an (almost) totally transparent, infinitely adjustable KUBE that also improves the already great imaging abilities of these lovely speakers.

The only downside is the price. But there have been a couple of secondhand units on the usual websites. There is a new model, but trust me the old one is a lot more than "alright".

Ps. I only put bit the (almost) in to stop the pedants from jumping all over me. Between you and me. it is totally transparent Wink
Parts
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vistisen,

Maybe you could do a new thread with pictures and what set up you are using, settings etc with the DEQX?

I am sure a few of us 107 owners would be interested as so far DEQX, Tact, and the old Meridian 600 series may be other viable alternatives to the original Kube (maybe even the Behringer DEQ2496?)

I still want to attempt building a balanced Kube someday, or buying a second hand one.

Steve
vistisen
Intermediate Contributor 50+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts wrote:
Hi Vistisen,

Maybe you could do a new thread with pictures and what set up you are using, settings etc with the DEQX?

second hand one.

Steve

In a week's time I have a few day holiday, and since I have to reinstall all the software due to a hardisk crash. I need to take a new set of measurements. I'll try and document with screen shoots and photos the process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF speakers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: