SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

105.2 cabinet damping
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiolabtower wrote:
proffski wrote:
Lead lining sounds fine, but what happens once the panel starts moving, it will take longer to stop...

High mass can have high Q resonances which are much more deadly to sound quality.

Not lead. Have you ever hit a lead sheet and heard it ring like a bell? I think not. More like a soggy Yorkshire pudding. Lead is almost perfect for lining speaker boxes (apart from the cost, labour and subsequent weight of the box, of course).
proffski
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
audiolabtower wrote:
proffski wrote:
Lead lining sounds fine, but what happens once the panel starts moving, it will take longer to stop...

High mass can have high Q resonances which are much more deadly to sound quality.

Not lead. Have you ever hit a lead sheet and heard it ring like a bell? I think not. More like a soggy Yorkshire pudding. Lead is almost perfect for lining speaker boxes (apart from the cost, labour and subsequent weight of the box, of course).

I agree that it is good at damping but a heavy panel if not well braced will still have more inertia than a thin damped one... Confused
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[a VERY good point from proffski. Cost would have been a consideration but not the main one in their (at that time) top speaker because they put all the research into the mounts which were carefully designed not to transmit to the cabinet if torqued exactly right. ]

Ah. Interesting. Does anyone know exactly what the correct torque factor is (was) for the B-300 in the Ref 105 II? As I've found that periodic rotation of the driver is now essential this would be good information to have. But, would it even be relevant after 30 odd years considering the likely changes to the structure of the rubber used? [/quote]
audiolabtower
VIP Contributor 500+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speakerguru wrote:
Not lead.

yes, I was not thinking about lead, more about normal methods of thick chipboard etc. The BBC showed that even bracing can push resonances higher in frequency and Q into the more objectionable mid band if not done very carefully and results measured etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: