SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cabinet volume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krimney
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: cabinet volume Reply with quote

I am toying with the idea of building a speaker cabinet and using kef bass drivers in it. Aesthetics will be as important as the sound but I'd still like it to sound good.
I was thinking of either a B139 or a B300 as the bass driver, likely with a Kef 105 II crossover (less the s-stop circuit).
I may try using all the components of a pair of concertos in the new cab as well.
My bass enclosure would be triangular in shape, and I am thinking sealed with a voulme of approx 6 cubic feet.
Reaching the low frequencies will be more important than high volume...I'll be in an apartment.

Any suggestions??
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
approx 6 cubic feet

Presuming you have the Ref 105-2 "heads" to use the time aligned crossover (the standard CS9 box and frequency domain PL301 crossovers using the same drivers are different) for the B300Bs, you nead a sealed box of 65 to 75 litres NOT 179!

You might consider this
http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/KEFDocuments/KEFGermanGallery/pages/p18.htm
Very Happy.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
krimney
Junior Contributor 10+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: No 105 heads Reply with quote

I do not have the 105 heads. I thought that all the crossover components for the 105 were in the lower unit. i thought it was just the s-stop circuit was in hte head and that this had no effect on sound....that it was only a protection circuit.

Looking at my original idea, my dimension might have been too big, a 2 foot wide speaker may be too much, could make the base 1.5x1.5 which would bring the volume down to around 80 or so depending on internal bracing ...

I was thinking about a triangle for the base(about 3' high) with an inverted triangle(about 1' high) above it housing the mid tweet
SaSi
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are considering an inverted pyramid for the tweeter, then think twice. The pointy edges and corners are not a good idea as they will be emitting diffractve waves.

Also, if you are going to use a B139 or a B300 as a bass driver, then you most likely need a midrange of sorts. An 8~5" driver (B200 or B110 in KEF terms).

The original 105 with the B300 was combined with a B110 and many B139 based designs use either the B110 or the B200.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> DIY with KEF drive units All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: