SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KEF B139 SP1042 instead of SP1037 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesIha
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: KEF B139 SP1042 instead of SP1037 ? Reply with quote

Hi
New here and new to KEF.
Got myself a couple of KEF cadenza from -72
They were really rough looking but I managed to get them good looking with some work and new oil on the wood Smile
However the ABR:s foam has disintegrated. So I bought a pair of BD139B SP1042 to replace the old ABR
I see now that the size is somewhat different on these comparing to the original SP1037
I think of making an adapter ring to put in the box. That way the new ABR will fit perfectly.
Is this something that would affect the sound in anyway? Do you think I should get some SP1037 instead?
I'm not interested in putting too much money on this project since I have to sell them anyway Sad
Too big for my wife (size does matter Smile )
As I see it the only difference is the size of the chassi.
Thanks
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
see now that the size is somewhat different on these comparing to the original SP1037
I think of making an adapter ring to put in the box. That way the new ABR will fit perfectly.
Is this something that would affect the sound in anyway?

Don't bother with an adapter ring unless you are keeping them Very Happy , just fill the gaps with silicone mastic.

NO the sound will not be affected..

Quote:
Too big for my wife

Get rid of her Laughing .

Them knock out the T-nuts, mount the ABR on the left hand side of the hole using three T-nuts and make an adapter for the right hand side, then enjoy Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
JamesIha
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer.
Well I want it to look good even though I have to sell it.

By the way, any tip on foam or whats used as fill in at the front?
don't know if you get it but I ask for a material to use on the front for minimizing the view of the speakers.
I think there was a sort of material there but it has vanished. Now the front looks good but you see through it.

Thanks again
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hide drive units Nylon Stockinet is fairly acoustically tranparent, don't bother with thin foam.

If you can only get "see through" linen mount it at 45 degrees to the existing weave; it's the same trick as rotating two polarised optical filters.

Marine ply is probably the best material to make a shim for the ABR, unless you're going to cut off the rear of the SP1037 with an angle grinder to make a flat racetrack to which the SP1042s can be bolted so the existing mounts can be used.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: