SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

replacing gasket 104ab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Intermediate Contributor 75+

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: replacing gasket 104ab Reply with quote

Hi, I have a set of 104abs. I had the grilles off today and noticed that I have an air leak around one of the B200s. It is on all sides of the driver so that when you have a bass note, you can feel the air leak out. I bought the speakers 2nd hand and someone had them refinished so I know the drivers were taken out.

I suspect that the gasket is either out of place or MIA.

Any suggestions for remaking a gasket. I thought perhaps of using silicone seal like the Linn Kans, only it would be difficult to cut through if I had a driver problem.

Thx

David
David

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took out the drivers to check them. I had bought these second hand. Should have pulled them before to check. Fortunately the drivers are in very good condition. One has a homemade gasket made of weatherstripping, still functional. The other was siliconed in--poor job. It was a b**** to pull, but managed to do so pushing from the rear. I am in the middle of cleaning it up and will weatherstrip it too.

A note of caution for the second hand market. You really have to be careful.

Anyway, I noticed that there was even a brace in the rear of the cabinet to brace the rear of the B200. The wood has shrunk and the brace no longer functions, so I am going to put a little more foam between the back of the driver and the brace to make it functional again.

Will update on my progress.

David
terry
Senior Contributor 200+

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people do talk about using the 'weatherstripping' solution. Silicone is also a useful material but perhaps best to 'make' a gasket from it rather than using it to seal in situ.
Terry
David

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Terry. Didn't think about making a gasket from it.
Went the weatherstripping route and put a couple of extra strips on the magnet so that the rear brace was again functioning.

Wow. Cleaned up the bass and mid range big time. Saw that the spekers were manufactured in Aug. 1977. Guess that makes them 27 years old. For those of us with vintage speakers, it isn't a bad idea to open them up just to check out things like old gaskets, insulating materials and braces.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: