SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cadenza Manufacture Year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyc247
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Cadenza Manufacture Year Reply with quote

I have owned a pair of KEF Cadenzas since new and they still work great today. Recently I have been trying to remember exactly when I bought them. I think it was around 1971 but it is so long ago ! I remember I had a summer job and worked that summer to earn enough to buy them ! There is no indication of year of manufacture on mine, I just have the two serial numbers.

So when did KEF starting making Cadenzas and when did they switch from foam to rubber for the BD139 surround. I obviously have one of the latter types as it still working !

Ta v much,
Andrew
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the "A History of Kef Drive Units" thread.

KEF's records give answers of 1970 and 1972 to your questions.

http://www.kef.com/Resources/KEFUnits/A%20History%20of%20Kef%20Drive%20Units.pdf

Although with Terry's pair being from 1973

http://www.hifiloudspeakers.info/Anatomy/SpeakerSystems/Cadenza/Cadenza.html

I would suggest a date between late 1973 or early 1974 for the SP1042.

I don't care if I'm wrong, I only collect (and have an interest in) KEF based systems from 1975 to ~1986 Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
andyc247
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that. 1972 sounds OK but 1973/4 sounds too late I think, but I could be wrong too. Perhaps I could compare my serial numbers with Terry's ?

Andrew
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps I could compare my serial numbers with Terry's ?

28468 & 28462

03/05/1973 with foam surround SP1037 ABRs, hence the magnetless A6171 replacements Very Happy .
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
andyc247
Introductory Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe I am miles off think 1973. One of my SP1024 serial numbers is 59889 - I can t get to the other just at the moment but it is close to that one.

I wonder if I contacted KEF they could tell me the date of manufacture from the serial numbers ? I am even more curious now ...

Andrew
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of my SP1024 serial numbers is 59889

Terry's other pair 51224 and friend appear to be from 1975 according to the drive unit date stamps.

Quote:
wonder if I contacted KEF they could tell me the date of manufacture from the serial numbers ?

No, they're not like Quad Service.

You'll just have to remove a tweeter and read the ink date stamp or the SP1022 or SP1042 and read the date code label like the rest of us mortals and add a couple of weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: