SpeakerTalk Forum Index SpeakerTalk
This forum has been set up to facilitate discussion of 1970s KEF speakers and drive units. The owner of the Forum has no connection with KEF Audio.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEST setting on R.105 II level indicator control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: TEST setting on R.105 II level indicator control Reply with quote

Can anyone shed some light on just what the TEST setting on the 105 II actually does?
Does it bypass any or all of the protection circuitry on the head unit PCB?
ColinR
Über Contributor 1000+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what the TEST setting on the 105 II actually does

It's for testing (by qualified technicians) the protection circuitry on the head unit PCB.

Quote:
Does it bypass any or all of the protection circuitry on the head unit PCB

No.
This post or any other information supplied to this website or any other by myself is not available for any form of commercial purpose i.e. to hi-fi magazines or as sales and marketing material for sleezeBay or Audiodogging pimps and the like.
speakerguru
VIP Contributor 750+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was a quick way to check everything in the LED and protection circuits was working. I seem to remember the circuit was set to its most sensitive so that the LED would light and the relay would trip without deafening the tester.
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Seems to make sense. I've yet to trip anything ever, and even getting the LED's to illuminate at all gets output up to discomforting levels.

The set up instructions warn against using the setting in regular listening mode but I've mistakenly done so for a days long period once with no audible or damaging affect. Thanks Speakerguru.
geoffwood
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing is to remove it completely. What's the point of optimising all sorts of stuff in one's system then hanging a signal-sucking network like that across every thing !!!

I ran mine for 15 years with it removed, and with an adquate size (ie not too SMALL) amplifier and sensible use, had no problems whatsoever. Fortunately the 105.2 is inherently protected against amps going DC by the series input capacitor (which incidentally may benefit from bypassing with an additional largish - several uF - polypropylene film cap).

geoff
T.O. Chef
Senior Contributor 100+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Have you done this bypassing of the large value cap's on the input?
My version has 4 x 120uF cap's C1-C4. I assume this involves a bypass cap on each of them?

I'm currently working on a second set of crossovers for my 105's (leaving the originals completely intact). Since the bits are on hand already I will try using Solen's, but with electrolytic Bennic's C1-C4.
Going to be a tight fit. Large values mounted on the board backs. Spacers to clear the box rear panel, and likely some small alterations to the damping foam. Wish I could find some of that same density. I really don't want to trim any of the original. Anyone any thoughts on what I could use?

Anyone here ever compared a Solen capped 105 II crossover to an original and care to share their findings?

Did you find any benefit to system sensitivity by disabling the protection circuitry?
geoffwood
Intermediate Contributor 25+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one needs bypassing, as the are all in parallel. Just gives the higher frequencies something nicer to go thru 'unimpeded'.

Removing the S-Stop didn't improve sensitivity noticably, but I at least imagined cleaner highs - more 'air' as some would have it.

geoff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SpeakerTalk Forum Index -> KEF Speakers from the 1970s All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: